time clock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeemerDO

4 FOX ACHE
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. How many residencies out there require a time stamp system to document that you are there?
My hospital recently implemented this system for all employees, including housestaff.
I could have sworn that as salaried employees, the time at which we clock in is a moot point since we are not hourly wage employees and how many hours we work truly do not matter in the grand scheme of things.
I just think it's rather juvenile and condescending to treat people with our education as mere grade school students, taking attendance, surveillance, and stuff. I could have sworn that our patient logs would be enough to justify as evidence that we are there.
Is this allowed by residencies or is it per hospital discretion?
Any opinions? input?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think places that make residents clock in and out are probably more interested in making sure you don't work over 80 hours rather than checking in on you to be sure that you're showing up to work.

I think places that make residents clock in and out are probably more interested in making sure you don't work over 80 hours rather than checking in on you to be sure that you're showing up to work.

Exactly. I know of one program that did this as they felt it would keep attendings from pressuring residents to lie on time sheets.

my hospital has that, I keep forgetting everyday to swipe the card and the funny thing is that the little boxes are all over the hospital.

Yeah, don't think for a minute that the time clock has anything to do with documenting that you are at the hospital ENOUGH but rather than you aren't in violation of ACGME work hours restrictions.

Also, Medicare is getting really picky about paying for residents. Some intermediaries actually want daily proof that you were working to reimburse the hospital for that day. So, the time clock might be for that also. If so, poor Mig26x might get in trouble.....

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just found it funny that they only want us to clock in, but as far as clocking out, there is like no option for that.
I'm just wondering what they plan to do for us in the event of outside electives where logging in may be impossible

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just found it funny that they only want us to clock in, but as far as clocking out, there is like no option for that.
I'm just wondering what they plan to do for us in the event of outside electives where logging in may be impossible

Online check in via hospital website or via some sort of smart phone app.