Time to ECFMG certification (once all steps are completed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodenclock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,

I am an IMG from spain and I am thinking of taking the step 2 cs around february 2015 (thus completing the last of my steps to get ECFMG cert).
My question is, when would I receive my ECMFG certification?

I am asking this question cause I want to take the STEP 3 asap, preferably before may (so that I would have everything ready for the match 2016... plus, I would begin a job in May that wouldn't allow me the time to go to the US and take the STEP 3)

The thing is I would probably get the results of my step 2 cs around april/may, so ECFMG certification time is crucial to know... plus I would also have to add the time to get the STEP 3 application ready.

A second question is, Is there any chance I could take the STEP 2 CS BEFORE january 2015? (Because all slots have been taken till at least january... )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you can take the cs earlier...slots keep opening with people rescheduling...keep checking the site regularly

You will get the certificate by FedEx 1-2 weeks after you meet all the criteria (including med school cred verification). You can get CS slot at any time, just keep checking every hour you will find openings due to rescheduling and due to new slots released by the test centers.

Thank you so much!!! I just rescheduled before January 2015!

I hope i can meet all deadlines in time!

I have a question regarding transfer credits. ECFMG dictates you must include transcripts of ALL credit that was earned at an institution other than your home school. They say you have to send transfer transcripts in together with your diploma and final transcript for ECFMG certification. This makes perfect sense if you transferred from one school to another, but what doesn't make sense is what if you did a 1 month elective outside your home school and then your home school credits you 4 weeks of credits for let's say cardiology and notes on your diploma that the credit was earned at whatever Harvard University in Boston, MA. Is this considered transfer credit if it was only for an elective, and if so, how does one explain this? There is not s single school in the US that has electives that will give someone an official transcript that they did an elective. When you do an elective you aren't an official student of that school but a student of your home school on an away rotation. So technically getting a transcript for elective credit is not possible. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

I have a question regarding transfer credits. ECFMG dictates you must include transcripts of ALL credit that was earned at an institution other than your home school. They say you have to send transfer transcripts in together with your diploma and final transcript for ECFMG certification. This makes perfect sense if you transferred from one school to another, but what doesn't make sense is what if you did a 1 month elective outside your home school and then your home school credits you 4 weeks of credits for let's say cardiology and notes on your diploma that the credit was earned at whatever Harvard University in Boston, MA. Is this considered transfer credit if it was only for an elective, and if so, how does one explain this? There is not s single school in the US that has electives that will give someone an official transcript that they did an elective. When you do an elective you aren't an official student of that school but a student of your home school on an away rotation. So technically getting a transcript for elective credit is not possible. Has anyone else ran into this problem?
You are overthinking this. Your home program awarded the credit not the elective location program so you do not need a transcript from the other location.

The only issue I've heard of is when the home program doesn't list specifics of the elective on the transcript (ie, it's not acceptable to state "elective"),

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah what you wrote is spot on. Looked into this a bit more and you are right. I mean elective credit is given by the home school NOT the institution the elective was done at. I think I overthought this b/c a friend of mine did the same thing but when my Dean's office sent ECFMG her transcript they marked "has transfer credits" so she had to basically send letters saying they were just electives and all this other nonsense from that tiny mistake of checking a box. Ended up starting residency several weeks late but I digress.
What you wrote I have verified with ECFMG and other students and is correct.
You are overthinking this. Your home program awarded the credit not the elective location program so you do not need a transcript from the other location.

The only issue I've heard of is when the home program doesn't list specifics of the elective on the transcript (ie, it's not acceptable to state "elective"),

Just wanted to bump this thread since it seems to be a frequently asked question.

I just got off the phone with ECFMG. The representative told me that it takes 10 business days (from the day that your last exam results are released) for you to receive a FedEx tracking number in your e-mail. The tracking number is for your physical ECFMG certificate, which will be mailed to the address on file.

Within 24 hours of you receiving your FedEx tracking number, you should also notice that your ERAS Dashboard will be updated with your ECFMG certified status, which means that programs will also be able to see that you are certified.

Hope this helps!

Just wanted to bump this thread since it seems to be a frequently asked question.

I just got off the phone with ECFMG. The representative told me that it takes 10 business days (from the day that your last exam results are released) for you to receive a FedEx tracking number in your e-mail. The tracking number is for your physical ECFMG certificate, which will be mailed to the address on file.

Within 24 hours of you receiving your FedEx tracking number, you should also notice that your ERAS Dashboard will be updated with your ECFMG certified status, which means that programs will also be able to see that you are certified.

Hope this helps!
Wait...you mean you can actually call the people responsible for doing this and get an answer to your question? That's crazy talk!

Hey! I'm about 2 weeks away from being ECFMG certified. Should I let programs know once I become certified?