Timeline for first PCS after residency and coordinating with non-military physician spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snotty24

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched the forums and asked coresidents, but couldn't find a clear answer (maybe that means there isn't one?). I am a PGY1 EM resident at an army residency, and was wondering what the timeline is for finding out your first PCS after residency. My spouse is a non-military physician, so trying to think about their timeline for finding a job at/near my first PCS. We will finish our residencies at the same time.

Talking to co-residents, some of them felt confident in early fall where they are going after their discussions with locations, but is there a set time when all the army medicine residents get their official orders? Seems like January or February? The civilian timeline for jobs is often 12+ months in advance, which we know we won't have, but also hoping it could be at least 6+ months.

In short, what is the timeline for finding out the PCS options and then finding out where we are going after residency? How much control do you have in the location and is it like a rank list like residency again? (obviously the military can always send and do whatever they want with you, but asking in general)

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t have personal experience with the Army but the Navy and the Air Force has been typically starting in January or so but does depend a bit on specialty. This has been even later for the last two years, at least partly due to COVID. (People in my specialty still haven’t really heard this year, I’d expect February at the earliest) I know a guy (Navy) last year didn’t know where he was going for sure until April I think.

I think the Army does some different stuff with detailing though, the best information you can get will be from graduates of your program that went through it recently. Getting anything you can work with prior to December is a little tricky because GME selection happens in December so they usually wait till after that to do detailing.

Hi,

I've searched the forums and asked coresidents, but couldn't find a clear answer (maybe that means there isn't one?). I am a PGY1 EM resident at an army residency, and was wondering what the timeline is for finding out your first PCS after residency. My spouse is a non-military physician, so trying to think about their timeline for finding a job at/near my first PCS. We will finish our residencies at the same time.

Talking to co-residents, some of them felt confident in early fall where they are going after their discussions with locations, but is there a set time when all the army medicine residents get their official orders? Seems like January or February? The civilian timeline for jobs is often 12+ months in advance, which we know we won't have, but also hoping it could be at least 6+ months.

In short, what is the timeline for finding out the PCS options and then finding out where we are going after residency? How much control do you have in the location and is it like a rank list like residency again? (obviously the military can always send and do whatever they want with you, but asking in general)

Aren't you required to attend DCC and BOLC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was army and we started to find out around February with almost all of my classmates knowing firmly where they were headed by March. That was 2017, but last year it was a similar trend with the residents at my local MTF.

thank you all. This is helpful. Do you typically have an idea of what places you could end up (like a top 3)? When does the list of possible places come out?

I have completed DCC, but will do BOLC after residency graduation.

I would strongly encourage you to reach out early to your consultant and HRC as well to explain your situation. There is no guarantee they will accommodate but it would be important so they at least have optics. I'm not EM so cannot speak to assignments but I will tell you that you may not necessarily go to a MEDDAC/MEDCEN. Other assignments could include being attached to a FORSCOM unit "with duty at nearby MEDDAC/MEDCEN." I have seen this occur with IM and EM. The AIM marketplace won't open for you till your last year of residency. Until then, anything you hear about potential assignments is speculation. Others can chime in about the marketplace and their experiences.

Hopefully your wife's specialty does not limit her geographic spread so to speak. I have seen it work out for some but I have also seen it where there ultimately is geographic separation.

Lastly, nothing is solidified until you get your orders which in the Army in your case won't be till late in your PGY 3 year. I have also seen situations where the AD spouse received a last minute change. In short, expectation management and anticipating possible challenges is vital for both you and your wife.

I found out in Nov what places I could rank. Then I think around Feb I found out where I was going to go. Then in May I found out from a third party that they had changed that and weren’t going to tel me until my orders were cut. Called my consultant and his response was that I was going to find out eventually anyway so NBD, right? Fortunately my wife didn’t have a job lined up at the old new duty station.

Point is: you find out a few months ahead of time but they can still @&$k you whenever they feel like it.

AIM marketplace takes place Oct/Nov. Likely will get RFO/orders in Feb/Mar. Can change up until June but this is not super common. You can preference them to try to control your fate, but someone’s gotta go to Fort Polk/Riley/Sill/Irwin…

Very little consideration given to professional spouse career. Great reason to not stay AD. Prob not a big deal if spouse is FM/EM/Peds. Harder if something like rad onc. Hiring process for GS jobs take 6-9 months in general, if they are interested in that route.

Your civilian spouse physician means nothing unless your consultant or career manager (HRC) takes interest in your situation. In the cycle of your next duty station. Things change too much year-to-year to anticipate. Godspeed.