Timing of AMCAS primary submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triedtowalk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wrapping up a first-author manuscript and plan to submit it to a journal sometime around mid-late May, depending on when co-authors submit revisions/corrections. This is a really meaningful paper for me--I'm sure I'm overestimating the importance of publications, but it's coming from 4 years of research and I've been involved with the project since the literature review stage, and the research topic is my main motivation for medicine.

My question is: should I wait until I get a decision from the journal prior to submitting my primary? I believe the earliest date to submit the AMCAS primary is around May 30th (?), and this specific journal averages ~3 weeks between submission and first decision. If the manuscript were submitted end of May, I'd hopefully have a decision by the third week of June. Would it be worth it to delay my primary submission so that I'd be able to include the publication in my work/activities section or maybe even my PS? Or would it be wiser to just submit as soon as possible and then maybe include an update in secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are overthinking the importance of your paper unless you are applying MD/PhD. You can submit in June without a problem. I don't think it's worth delaying submission until you hear back about your paper. Have something to update before interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
You are overthinking the importance of your paper unless you are applying MD/PhD. You can submit in June without a problem. I don't think it's worth delaying submission until you hear back about your paper. Have something to update before interviews.

Thank you!