Timing of mcat/application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am done with several prereqs: Biology, General Chemistry, and the first semester of Organic Chemistry.

Next semester I am planning to finish Organic Chemistry.

With physics, I took almost the whole semester but withdrew towards the end of the semester because I was not doing well. I am retaking it at a different university next semester that has a quarter system so I will be done with all of Physics at the end of August.

My question is this: I really want to apply this year. I know it is going to be hard, but is it impossible? My plan is to take an MCAT prep course while taking the last quarter of Physics and to take the MCAT in August or September.

Or should I try to begin studying for the MCAT earlier so that I can take it earlier?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To maximize your chances, apply early and broadly.

Early means as close to June 1 for AMCAS, May 1 for TMDSAS, maybe July 1 for AACOMAS.

The later in the summer you apply, the longer it takes them to process your app, and the more likely you're applying for the waitlist. If you're applying just under the deadline, imho, you might as well just send your app fees as if they were donations. If you have below-average stats, a late app is a complete waste of time, money and effort.

It takes at least a month to get your MCAT score after your test date.

So if you're taking the MCAT in April or May, you're fine.

June or July, you're gambling.

Later than July, you shouldn't apply until the following year.

I strongly recommend that you take the MCAT only once and that you give it everything you've got to get your highest possible score. Re-studying and re-prepping for the MCAT is incredibly inefficient, and the majority of retakes result in the same score or lower. If you can't maintain a high GPA, prep for the MCAT, get faculty recommendations and keep up your ECs simultaneously, then the MCAT needs to wait.

Best of luck to you.

So, I am done with several prereqs: Biology, General Chemistry, and the first semester of Organic Chemistry.

Next semester I am planning to finish Organic Chemistry.

With physics, I took almost the whole semester but withdrew towards the end of the semester because I was not doing well. I am retaking it at a different university next semester that has a quarter system so I will be done with all of Physics at the end of August.

My question is this: I really want to apply this year. I know it is going to be hard, but is it impossible? My plan is to take an MCAT prep course while taking the last quarter of Physics and to take the MCAT in August or September.

Or should I try to begin studying for the MCAT earlier so that I can take it earlier?

Thanks

An August MCAT is an automatic disqualifier at a few early schools. There are also a few late-running DO schools where you will be in the middle of the line. If you take the August MCAT and do well, then applying to the late schools is not a bad idea, you might get in, or you might not. I wouldn't depend on getting in, though.

Setting your sights on a 2013 entry is a more reasonable goal. You can concentrate on a later MCAT without the distraction of other courses.