Tip of the week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScottie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As has been quoted elsewhere, no single source is adequate for pathology. Probably the best review book around in Rapid Review by Goljan. However, to make this a super high yield skim through the Big Robbins and write the pages for relevant figures or pictures in the margin of you rapid review. Please share your path tips.

Also this week I read one of my favorite books in medical school Behavioral Science in Medicine. It is by Barbara Fedhem who wrote BRS and High yield behavioral science. I think this books is much better. It took me about 8 hours to read it and ties in psych, pharm, epi, with lots of tables. About 100 more pages than BRS but you could cut this down by skipping a chapter or two. May be also useful for step two.

Ps: I love the idea of doing questions in the morning. However, I am wondering how long it took you to review all those questions? Also, the binder idea has worked well for me. I took out my first aid from its binding. Now when I see a chart or something in another book I just photocopy it and pop it in. Your first aid will be trashed and everyone will want 2009. So go for it!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not really sure who you're talkin to but when i do questions in the morning I usually do 1 block. So it takes me an hour to do the 50 questions plus about 2 hours to review the answers.

i'm not really sure who you're talkin to but when i do questions in the morning I usually do 1 block. So it takes me an hour to do the 50 questions plus about 2 hours to review the answers.

What questions are you doing? and are you both reviewing the questions and annotating or just reviewing?

Right now i'm doing Kaplan Qbank (i'm gonna switch to UWorld once i have 1 month left till exam day). When i review the questions, I also annotate important info into First Aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best tip for pathology is to read big robbins throughout the year and annotate things that you think are important in goljan. Then read BRS and do the same. Big robbins is way too big to even skim through during board study.

Best tip for pathology is to read big robbins throughout the year and annotate things that you think are important in goljan. Then read BRS and do the same. Big robbins is way too big to even skim through during board study.
couldnt agree more.
out of all the books in the basic sci, the big robbins is one i actually read from cover to cover during path and it made everything else easier when it comes down to reviewing for the usmle

couldnt agree more.
out of all the books in the basic sci, the big robbins is one i actually read from cover to cover during path and it made everything else easier when it comes down to reviewing for the usmle
Every person that I have heard that does really well on the step 1 says the key is to read big robbins throughout the year.

Every person that I have heard that does really well on the step 1 says the key is to read big robbins throughout the year.

I hope that's not the case for everybody that does well, cuz I don't even own big robbins

I hope that's not the case for everybody that does well, cuz I don't even own big robbins

I own it. Opened it approx 3 times. RR is much more up my alley.

(I'm sure I'd have a broader and better understanding if I had read it cover to cover however. I just can't)