Tips for Non-Traditional EM Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtn Doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am applying into EM 2014-15 match, but have been out of medical school for 4 years. I did an HPSP scholarship during medical school with the USAF, then an internship (transitional year UC Davis/Travis AFB) and after considerable additional military training, I've been a flight surgeon x 3 years. I have tried to involve myself in activities that demonstrate a consistent interest in EM over this time (ATLS instructor, EMS director for my base, considerable experience as Medical On-Scene Commander for large scale military mass casualty/disaster exercises etc).

However, there will be significant differences in my application package and those of 4th year medical students. For example, I will not have a SLOE. Should I have my commander fill out the standard SLOE? Should I just submit LOR's?

Any other tips for a non-traditional applicant like myself to ensure highest opportunity for success in the match?

Thanks for any insights in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your commander cannot write a SLOE - those can only be written by an accredited residency program. However, you should submit regular LORs. Just explain at some point in your application (the personal statement for example) why you are a non-traditional applicant and why your experience qualifies you.

I suspect a lot of programs would rather have you than a new ms4. You're likely more mature, have had time to flesh out your career goals, etc.

Get the best rec letters you've got and relax. The rest isn't up to you.

Good luck.