TIPS on how to get a decent job as a new graduate!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if KHE and others would share some wisdom on what students should do (besides studying hard) to align a non-commercial job upon their graduation. This would obviously require great networking and planning while you are in optometry school.

Can you share some networking tips? As a student how can one build a network of Optometrist that will potentially hire them in the future as associates?

If you are 4th year student should you start calling practices to see if they will have an opening? Would you like getting calls from optometry students looking for potential work? What about sending letter or an email?

What kind of things would make you hire a new graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if KHE and others would share some wisdom on what students should do (besides studying hard) to align a non-commercial job upon their graduation. This would obviously require great networking and planning while you are in optometry school.

Can you share some networking tips? As a student how can one build a network of Optometrist that will potentially hire them in the future as associates?

If you are 4th year student should you start calling practices to see if they will have an opening? Would you like getting calls from optometry students looking for potential work? What about sending letter or an email?

What kind of things would make you hire a new graduate?

1) What can you do differently that I don't already do?
2) How can you make money for my practice?

I plan on doing residency in Geriatrics. Wouldn't having someone who is residency trained in dealing with certain types of patients expand the scope of your practice? Bring in more patients?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on doing residency in Geriatrics. Wouldn't having someone who is residency trained in dealing with certain types of patients expand the scope of your practice? Bring in more patients?

Well, possibly. But how are you going to market yourself to "that population." What services do you offer them as a geriatric trained optometrist that Johnny the Optometrist or Jimmy the Ophthalmologist doesn't offer? Specifically, what sets you apart and how does that translate into more money?

I don't mean to be rude, but if an OD had good answers to these questions, than wouldn't he or she just start up their own practice instead?

I don't mean to be rude, but if an OD had good answers to these questions, than wouldn't he or she just start up their own practice instead?

Because the optometric world has never been more unfriendly for anyone looking to start a practice - and it's only going to get worse.

Well, possibly. But how are you going to market yourself to "that population." What services do you offer them as a geriatric trained optometrist that Johnny the Optometrist or Jimmy the Ophthalmologist doesn't offer? Specifically, what sets you apart and how does that translate into more money?

In terms of marketing myself to that population I would regularly donate my time to local old age homes. Do eye exams for the seniors at retirement communities on the weekends maybe. Stuff like that to get myself known as a good optometrist among the seniors. I let the local Opthalmologist know that I am comfortable dealing with seniors and would love to refer my cataract patients to him in return for something similar. End result more patients to your practice. I gladly see more patients over time while getting paid the same fixed amount. You keep all the patient fees that you set and the potential of selling more glasses.
In terms of services, not sure what johnny and jimmy are offering that I can't. Maybe my services are more affordable, I am better at explaining things, I am available till 7pm six days a week, I give my personal phone number for any questions to my patients etc. I will make sure that patient will think long and hard before going somewhere else.

Last edited:

I don't think this is rude, but it certainly means you don't have any idea how much it costs to start a practice.

Along with $200,000 in students loan debt are you going to borrow another $200,000 to $300,000 to start a practice?

If you're thinking of doing a residency in geriatrics then I would suggest instead choosing low vision. You'll get the the geriatric population as well as a true skill that not many ODs bring to the table, thus separating you from the rest. A retina surgeon would definitely see you as an integral part of the practice.

Well, perhaps they would. And that's fine.

The reason I posed those questions is that it is not very often that a practice is in a situation where they just need to hire someone to do more of the same thing they are already doing. Most practices do not need to add capacity to do more of the same type of exams.

As such, you have to bring something different to the table.

Do you have a unique interest?
Can you speak another language?
Do you have any experience in marketing?
Do you like seeing kids when the established doc doesn't?
Do you like seeing seniors when the establshed doc doesn't?

If you're thinking of doing a residency in geriatrics then I would suggest instead choosing low vision. You'll get the the geriatric population as well as a true skill that not many ODs bring to the table, thus separating you from the rest. A retina surgeon would definitely see you as an integral part of the practice.

I will definitely look into low vision now. Thanks