Tips when your performace is low at the residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

logicaltooth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a PGY-1 resident. As the title indicates, I feel that I am not doing well in the residency program. For example, late paperwork, unsatisfied assistants, low performance in theoretical exams (Although, doing good in clinics). I understand that the way to reverse it is to avoid previous mistakes. I was looking for any other tips that would help change the impression of the faculty? I am worried about not getting recommendation letters or references for the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t worry about the assistants. Treat them well and be kind, but they can be hard to satisfy in residencies. You are just renting space, they work there permanently. You are there to learn and get the most out of it, it’s a day job for them so they will do the least at times. It’s a tough relationship. They also don’t work for you even though the working relationship kind of says otherwise chair side. The other stuff is completely under your control. Try harder, do better. You’ve made it this far. Maximum effort.

Hi,

I am a PGY-1 resident. As the title indicates, I feel that I am not doing well in the residency program. For example, late paperwork, unsatisfied assistants, low performance in theoretical exams (Although, doing good in clinics). I understand that the way to reverse it is to avoid previous mistakes. I was looking for any other tips that would help change the impression of the faculty? I am worried about not getting recommendation letters or references for the future.
Ask your faculty for help. If theres an area you're not succeeding in and you dont know how to improve - just ask. And practice. A lot. Working harder than your co-residents will not only improve your skills but faculty should be able to see that extra effort and will likely look favorably on it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Get your paperwork done. That’s basic job behavior anywhere

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re late on paperwork/documentation all the time, upsetting your assistants, and scoring poorly on exams, you probably aren’t doing as good as you think in clinic. Being polite and courteous to your assistants is easily within your control and usually results in pretty happy assistants. Turning in late paperwork and documentation is just sloppy, and is also easy to fix. Do the simple things right, work harder, do better. No magic solutions exist to do better.
What type of program are you in?