To add or not to add in the personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwgw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

so while I was attending undergrad, I volunteered at this clinic for a total of 26 hrs within like 6-7 months. As you guys can tell, I wasn't able to keep up with the volunteering to have that amount of hours within that period (I would always get sick in the middle of every quarter). I was wondering if I should add/talk about the experience from volunteering at this clinic in my med school personal statement? The example/ experience that I was thinking about using in the PS is more kind of relating to the MA who I worked with and not necessarily the doctors over there. I mean I did get to do some glucose level testing on some patients and get to see how MA interact with patients. I feel like I learned some stuffs from this volunteering. Part of my concern is that I'm not sure if I should add it into my PS mainly because of not that many hours within 6-7 months. Will it looks bad if I add something that I've only done it for a short period of time (I thought that it would not look so good since the admission people like to see commitment) into my application and into the PS? I'm not making any excuses here, but also note that I'm not one of those applicants with strong and many volunteer experiences relating to clinical setting. I was a transfer student and spent 2 yrs at the university, but I do have 2 yrs of research (with a publication) experience with 1 full year of non-clinical volunteer experiences.

thanks
-I'm just really stressed out and could not really think anymore...

Members don't see this ad.

If it made an impact on you and influenced your desire to be a doctor, then you can include it. I talked about my first shadowing experience and the effect it had on me, and I only shadowed in the ED for 5-6 hours. It's the quality of the experience and how it relates to the prompt for the PS, not necessarily how long you did it.