To all the commuters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I commute 3 hours daily (1.5 each way). That's 21 hours a week and a huge waste of time. For all those who commute at some level or another, do you do anything productive during all that lost time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you drive, obviously the only productive thing you can really do is listen, so if you have recorded lectures you can listen to, there's that. I know a lot of med students listen to Goljan (pathology) lectures in the car so maybe there's something similar to listen to for your classes. Or if you like to read and don't have the time to read for pleasure, get an audiobook and enjoy your commute a little more.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been listening to radiolab podcasts and really enjoying them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Audiobooks, podcasts, music, talking to SO, carpooling with a friend, etc

Decompressing with unrelated podcasts has been my modus operandi.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it really cheaper to live that far away? My daily commute is about 15 minutes each way, for a total of 30 minutes per day. I thought that was long......

I have a commute of about 1 hour each way and I don't think I would be able to do it without audiobooks! I borrow them from the library and doesn't seem like lost time anymore. I love reading and hardly have the chance this semester so it is actually an enjoyable time of day for me. :)

Is it really cheaper to live that far away? My daily commute is about 15 minutes each way, for a total of 30 minutes per day. I thought that was long......

15 minutes each way is a breeze! I'm jealous lol! :p

Reactions: 2 users
Enjoy the wind through my hair, birds in the air, but most of all, the traffic at 5 pm, lovely time really. I also commute but that's when I enjoy my music and new music, driving is the best to really listen to an album!

I commuted 2 hours each way for part of undergrad. Some of that was driving, some was on a bus, and 1 hr of that was on a train. Sometimes I would read my notes/textbooks but most of the time I just listened to music and relaxed. I always thought that getting MCAT audio osmosis would've been useful for this, especially if your whole commute time is spent driving.

I commute 3 hours daily (1.5 each day). That's 21 hours a week and a huge waste of time. For all those who commute at some level or another, do you do anything productive during all that lost time?

Was doing bus->train->bus->bus for a year, about 2 hrs each way. Lots of snap judgement to keep me sane, but if you're not driving I'd suggest putting up the money for an e-reader. $70 up front and free books forever throught the public library.

Now that I'm not in school anymore I listen to NPR on my commute to and from work. I like it because I don't really have time to watch/read the news and it helps me catch up on current events. When I was working during undergrad, I recorded my lectures and listened to them on the hour+ commute and I think that helped me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least for me, this is completely unacceptable. I absolutely refuse to have more than a 30 minute commute. 3 hours a day? Let's say you aren't in school and just work 9-5. That becomes 7:30-6:30 with commuting, which is probably something like 6:30-6:30 with getting up and ready to go. If you want to get a good night's sleep you need to be asleep by 10:30, which probably means getting ready for bed by 10. So you have 3.5 hours of "free time." Take away an hour for dinner and that's 2.5 hours. Have homework? A dog to walk? Errands to run? Now it's even less.

I do whatever I have to to live relatively close to where I have to go every day. I want every minute I can get to do what I want.

I have a 2.5 hour commute to work (round trip), but luckily (or unluckily depending on your view) take public transportation (car, train, and bus all get a go in my trip... fun fun). I use this time to stare at the scenery outside the window, read a book, listen to music, or browse the internet (and neurotically refresh SDN).

I wish I worked closer to home, but despite looking for quite some time I haven't been able to find work locally. I try to make the best of it but it is frustrating sometimes. I imagine the things I could do with an extra two hours in my day, I would probably be able to go to the gym more frequently and see some sunshine during the winter months. But I try to make the most of it and am thankful that I at least have a job.

At least for me, this is completely unacceptable. I absolutely refuse to have more than a 30 minute commute. 3 hours a day? Let's say you aren't in school and just work 9-5. That becomes 7:30-6:30 with commuting, which is probably something like 6:30-6:30 with getting up and ready to go. If you want to get a good night's sleep you need to be asleep by 10:30, which probably means getting ready for bed by 10. So you have 3.5 hours of "free time." Take away an hour for dinner and that's 2.5 hours. Have homework? A dog to walk? Errands to run? Now it's even less.

I do whatever I have to to live relatively close to where I have to go every day. I want every minute I can get to do what I want.
I think people have different factors/priorities. It may be the school is in a really bad or expensive area, and either security or finances are an issue. Definitely with you on time is more valuable, but life sometimes gets in the way.

I listened to a lot of NPR and BBC News. Listening to news and the like can strengthen your VR skills more than you may realize. Also keeps your favorite music from going stale due to overplaying.

OP: I listen to audio osmosis to study for the mcat- currently commute on a bus 1-1.5 hours in each direction. I get to take the bus in the morning with a friend so we usually just talk the whole time. Also, sometimes I nap (ok like 50% of the time...).

Yep. It sucks haha. That's solid advice that I'll adopt once I move out of my parents house...commuting doesn't bother me but traffic does, bad car sickness in stop and go traffic, so I definitely won't take on a commute like this again for a job.

I commute about the same amount of time each day as well. I do about 15-20mins on a bus then the rest on the subway. On the bus I usually surf the internet or text but on the subway is where I do most of my studying. All my books are pdf so I read them on my tablet and do practice problems or Anki

Jesus Christ a 3 hour commute...

Harry Potter in Spanish...brush up on those listening skills, but make it feel like fun, not work!

NPR or, in a vein similar to mehc012, French music

NPR or, in a vein similar to mehc012, French music
Oh man, kudos to you if you can understand foreign lyrics! I can't even understand them in English. I can memorize them down to the syllable, but I'll have no idea what they are saying, as long as the beat is good!

I just call my girlfriend or listen to music very loudly.

Commute has ranged from 30 min to 2 hours by car.
Average 45 minutes one way.

I commute 3 hours daily (1.5 each way). That's 21 hours a week and a huge waste of time. For all those who commute at some level or another, do you do anything productive during all that lost time?

I have the same exact situation. I have to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan every single day for school/work and it kills about 3 hrs/day. During the hectic hours, when people go to work or return from work it is almost impossible to get a seat on the train and I will end up standing the whole time. During those moments, podcasts always come in handy.

If the train is empty and quiet I'll study the same way I would in a library.

I have the same exact situation. I have to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan every single day for school/work and it kills about 3 hrs/day. During the hectic hours, when people go to work or return from work it is almost impossible to get a seat on the train and I will end up standing the whole time. During those moments, podcasts always come in handy.

If the train is empty and quiet I'll study the same way I would in a library.
Oh, for train commuting, Anki and reading.

I heard great things about Anki on this forum. Gotta give it a try!
Lol, it was probably just me 80x in different threads...I'm quite the convert! :laugh:
Though, come to think of it, I believe I was nudged towards Anki from here as well.

For one semester I commuted an hour each way. It was terrible in the Michigan winters.

If you're a freshman or sophomore and don't have professor relationships, research etc, established, I would definitely figure something out to get closer to school. That might be finding a house to pay rent in and getting some roommates or even transferring. Honestly, if I were you I would transfer.

I absolutely applaud everyone in this thread for their long commutes. I would never be able to do long commutes and enjoy life.

I have a 45 minute commute to my university, and two days of the week have analytical chem lab at 8am, which you NEED to be prepared for ahead of time otherwise you're in deep s*** and get nothing done. So once I'm on the highway and have cruise control set I'll just verbally walk myself through what I plan on doing that lab period and the procedure for it. Really helps so I don't show up droopy eyed and clueless for lab and can optimize my time.

Same here, but it's 15 minutes via bike. So I can't really do anything during my "commute." Which means if it snows/flat tire I'm walking the 35min home which is an even bigger time sink.

As others have pointed out, you can utilize that time to:
A) not concern yourself with work and jam out or decompress
B) do work in some capacity, whether that be listenin to lectures or reciting study material from memory

Ultimately this is a negative aspect of commuting that most people don't realize. Sure you save money on housing and food, but you still have to pay for transportation, have to live (most likely) with family or roomates to save money, and have to commute - which usually means it's more difficult to find volunteering opportunities.

Same here, but it's 15 minutes via bike. So I can't really do anything during my "commute." Which means if it snows/flat tire I'm walking the 35min home which is an even bigger time sink.

As others have pointed out, you can utilize that time to:
A) not concern yourself with work and jam out or decompress
B) do work in some capacity, whether that be listenin to lectures or reciting study material from memory

Ultimately this is a negative aspect of commuting that most people don't realize. Sure you save money on housing and food, but you still have to pay for transportation, have to live (most likely) with family or roomates to save money, and have to commute - which usually means it's more difficult to find volunteering opportunities.

Yeah essentially its a huge burden on my life but I have to find ways to make that time productive otherwise it'll all go to waste

Honestly, I have an hour commute each way, so my Solution is to never sign up for 6 hour shifts...I always work the full 12. Then I don't do anything productive, just blast music. I would need about an hour to decompress after a 12 anyway, so it's not really wasted except when I work afternoons and have to leave my family an hour EARLY. Otherwise I'm just losing time that they'd be asleep anyway.

1.5 hr each way. The full time goes to reading textbooks on iPad and looking at flash cards. I have one goal for when (if all goes according to plan!) I am in med school, residency, and practice: the minimum possible commute.

Sometimes I feel as if life is passing me by. It was either a long commute with zero undergrad debt or no commute with lots of undergrad debt. I chose no debt and definitely don't regret it--except when my 9am class turns into a "get up at 6:30" deal.

Honestly, I'm kind of in love with my commute. I get to unwind after shift and just blast music. I'm always pumped up after I finish a shift in the hospital, and such a great time to ride that feeling of awesomeness play a bunch of awesome music and just you know be lost in my own thoughts.

I have a 45 minute commute to my university, and two days of the week have analytical chem lab at 8am, which you NEED to be prepared for ahead of time otherwise you're in deep s*** and get nothing done. So once I'm on the highway and have cruise control set I'll just verbally walk myself through what I plan on doing that lab period and the procedure for it. Really helps so I don't show up droopy eyed and clueless for lab and can optimize my time.
Damn mirin balls to take analytic chem.

At my school, only people who have to pay full tuition. They save ~20k by commuting, if you count their parents feeding them.