To all the knowledgable dog and parrot people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kara31191

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Remember me, Kara?

Well anyways, lately I've been having this issue between my scarlet macaw, and my Australian Cattle/Blue heeler Mix. Austin, the dog, has been chased down and hunted by my Scarlet macaw, Rex. Austin has lately been growling. Well, I've been toweling Rex and restraining him until his body language is really submissive.

Should I be doing anything with Austin so that he knows he shouldn't snap? Or how to teach Rex not to go after him.

Here's the thing: This DOES NOT happen often. Usually when the birds are all out, the dogs are in the crates or upstairs. But- I was wondering is anyone has any ideas that might make Rex less likely to go after Austin? Or anything that will make them both more sumissive? I don't want Austin to hold a grudge.

Rex is a 5 year old Scarlet macaw, and we have many parrots. The only dog that rex hunts down is Austin, out of our three dogs, and they are the only two with a real grudge against each other.

I have a feeling it may be a jealousy issue. You see, Rex is my baby bird, and Austin is MY dog. Out of all the animals, those two are the ones that love me and I train those two. Austin is my beginner agility dog, and Rex does many tricks.

I got a macaw bite today OUCH! I got in front of him while he was going after the dog, and I was more afraid that there was going to be a dog-bird fight.

But keep in mind that Rex is an extremely lovable macaw. He is known by our vet to be very tame and loving and yet he still has that Scarlet "high up attitude".

So if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it. But I am not looking for any "keep them away from each other" kind of things. I supervise the birds when they are out. I just think that it may be something I am doing because they happen to be the two that are bonded to me. It doesn't happen when I'm not home.

Also, this only happens maybe once every few months. It's those occasional moments where they just happen to see each other.

Thank you,
Kara

PS sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

CAVEAT: I only know about dog behavior, not macaw!

Have you tried training Austin to focus on you? It works well here at the shelter with dogs who get a little too fixated on other dogs/cats/whatnot. Basically you use treats, toys, or whatever they're really into as positive reinforcement to get them to look at and focus on you instead of the thing you don't want them to pay attention to. Good luck!

The other thing you can try (although it might take two people) is retrain both animals. Basically you want to make it so all good things happen when austin and rex are together. Treats rain from the sky type thing. You would want to use really good treats (in thier opinions) that they only get when the two of them are together and they are being good. You want to change the current association of them not liking the other animal being around to good things happen when rex is around. You may have to start with them being separated but in the same room--ie maybe tether the dog or have two people. Training one or both to focus on you is a great idea too.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
This comes from very limited parrot experience, but I really wouldn't want to risk having them together. Macaws can be very tempermental (though I'm familiar with Blue and Gold, not Scarlet) and even if they appear to be fine sometimes I wouldn't want to risk an injury to my dog.

This comes from very limited parrot experience, but I really wouldn't want to risk having them together. Macaws can be very tempermental (though I'm familiar with Blue and Gold, not Scarlet) and even if they appear to be fine sometimes I wouldn't want to risk an injury to my dog.

I have 7 parrots, a B&G, a Scarlet, A severe, A Congo African Grey, Two cockatiels, and a sun conure. We also have our three dogs, and two breeding leopard geckos. I have fish also...

I know what you mean. Macaws and dogs do not mix well. I just watched a surgery on a macaw who had it's neck ripped open by a dog. You see, this doesn't happen often, but it's an accident waiting to happen so to speak. I am VERY afraid of contact between the two. However, we are human and it just takes a milisecond for something to happen. I don't want to have them together, just to calm my fears about what would happen.

I am more afraid that because Rex is a high strung bully :rolleyes: he will pinch Austin one too many times. Basically, if there should be a time the two are close to one another, then maybe he won't snap.

But, We never have them together because of the dog saliva. I don't want to cause my parrots any harm from the bacteria. If it's on their food, toys, etc. They generally aren't in the same area!

Thanks guys.

CAVEAT: I only know about dog behavior, not macaw!

Have you tried training Austin to focus on you? It works well here at the shelter with dogs who get a little too fixated on other dogs/cats/whatnot. Basically you use treats, toys, or whatever they're really into as positive reinforcement to get them to look at and focus on you instead of the thing you don't want them to pay attention to. Good luck!

The other thing you can try (although it might take two people) is retrain both animals. Basically you want to make it so all good things happen when austin and rex are together. Treats rain from the sky type thing. You would want to use really good treats (in thier opinions) that they only get when the two of them are together and they are being good. You want to change the current association of them not liking the other animal being around to good things happen when rex is around. You may have to start with them being separated but in the same room--ie maybe tether the dog or have two people. Training one or both to focus on you is a great idea too.

Good luck

Thank you Sheltergirl and Angelo! That's exactly the kind of idea I was looking for!

Maybe I will post on the vet forum and see if anyone there is really good with parrots and can help me with him. My vet/boss was kind of scared when I told her about this and showed her my bite. I don't really want to freak her out any more, so I will just look like an idiot online rather than to my boss! =P

Kara,

As a bird person, you should know that parrots should be obedient. Basic parrot obedience includes staying put on ones play stand / T-stand / training stand or cage top. If your macaw has the ability to go walking on the floor around the room, chasing things like dogs...then I really worry about its obedience training in general.

I am a bird vet, BTW.

Kara,

As a bird person, you should know that parrots should be obedient. Basic parrot obedience includes staying put on ones play stand / T-stand / training stand or cage top. If your macaw has the ability to go walking on the floor around the room, chasing things like dogs...then I really worry about its obedience training in general.

I am a bird vet, BTW.

That is not really where the issue is. It's when I'm in the room. So yes, I guess it is. When we first got him, he was just weaned at Seaworld. We didn't know enough to reverse the bad habits that Scarlets will commonly develop. AKA- pinching, being mean to other animals, "Separation anxiety" (haha that's what we call it) etc.

He freaks out if I'm in the room and he can't get to me. He jumps to the nearest object or floor and will follow me. I've tried to pick him up and put him down on the gym about 60-70 times until he gets it, but it hasn't been doing much. The whole cycle starts again the next day.

The other three (Severe, B&G, CAG) do not have any trouble with this. :rolleyes: Just my baby!