To be competitive in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legndstale

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and was wondering what would be a competitive Step I/Step II score for both american grads and IMGs for Emergency Medicine in California? I realize that there is much more to an application than just scores but I would appreciate any insight that might be offered.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW TOO! /?sa Vilb?ck :confused:

As you know, there is much more to an application than step I or II scores. However, screeners will cut you below 210 at my program but may be higher at others (see UCSD). I personally couldn't give a care less how you did on step I and many of my colleagues feel the same way. I'd rather have a team player who works hard any day.
Doing research in emergency medicine is never a bad thing, and usually will help you somewhat even at "nonacademic" programs. Doing a rotation in Wyoming with Peter Rosen never hurts, but I don't know if he still does this since he started in Massachusetts. FMGs generally have a harder time because of late California letter and licensing requirements prior to starting third year. USC did take an FMG, as did a few other California programs this year. Generally rotating through California EDs and getting excellent rec letters from California ED faculty helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Osteopathic student.
-215 on step 1, 241 on step 2 (took in time for application).
-competitive? extracurriculars
-Did a rotation at a California program, got an excellent letter from one of the attendings (not PD)
-applied to 6 California programs, all 3 year except 1
-the only interview I got (which I did not go to) was to Kern, a 2-4 program.
-I got invited for interviews at the majority of the other programs I applied to.

Hope that helps! Good luck

I have colleagues with board scores of 228, 237, and 239 who applied to 3 year schools in California. Two of them got one interview each, the other one got none. I was 257/269 and got all 5 of them. I don't post that to brag, just to give you some objective data to compare yourself to. The student with the 228 had very similar grades/research exp/letters to mine. Some of the 2-3-4 and 1-2-3-4 programs are slightly easier to get interviews at. For instance, Drew didn't fill until the scramble, again. Hope that helps. (We were all US grads)

Which one of your buddies didn't get the interview--the one with the 228 or the ones with 230+?

It was one of the 230+ ers. As far as "the standards for EM leaving you behind" don't worry. You can do EM, you just might not be able to do it WHERE you want to. Besides, as many people will say, Board scores are not all important. In fact, most PDs will tell you that number one is your EM rotation grade, number two your interview, number three your letters, number four your other third year grades, and then things like boards, extracurriculars etc. You DO NOT need incredible board scores to match, you only need them to be able to pick your residency.

RE: My advice on the boards. A member of my class compiled a great summary of the advice we passed onto the class below us two years ago. See:
http://umed.med.utah.edu/eklektikos/Eklektikos fall01.pdf

It starts on Page 8.

Don't sweat the boards too much. No one cares what you got on the MCAT, and as soon as you match, no one cares what you got on the boards. And no, I only honored about 1/5 of the basic science courses. I studied hard, studied smart, and I have knack for standardized tests.

Dude, give yourself some credit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boards; you'll do fine.

If you just read First Aid for the Step 1 (the greatest book known to man) over and over, you would do well enough.

Contrary to popular belief, EM is not super competitive. How else did I get in?

Now, EM in California, on the other hand, is another story... Ridiculously good applicants are often rejected for interviews in Cali.

I've heard over and over that board scores are NOT that important. EM docs are practical people, and your obscure knowledge of maple syrup urine disease will not help much in the ED. It's much more helpful to get great evals and letters from EM.

Don't count yourself out already. Talk to an advisor to get a more objective point of view. You may not be the underdog you think you are.

:) :) ;) :)