To Canadian dental students interested in oral surgery, whats your reason for not attending a US program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynameisno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you need to do a GPR or internship year before most oral surgery programs here in Canada. However, in the States, you generally don't need to do this. So my question is, what is the advantage of applying to oral surgery programs here in Canada if I want to go return to private practice here? I am currently a Canadian dental student. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

what is the advantage of applying to oral surgery programs here in Canada if I want to go return to private practice here
Well Canada is a huge country geographically. But you may be able to make connections with oral surgeons or jobs in Canada that will allow ease your transition into employment following residency. Also, you may be closer to family (but maybe not because Canada is huge).

That being said, I think most people just go where they can get in. Apply to schools in both countries and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Well Canada is a huge country geographically. But you may be able to make connections with oral surgeons or jobs in Canada that will allow ease your transition into employment following residency. Also, you may be closer to family (but maybe not because Canada is huge).

That being said, I think most people just go where they can get in. Apply to schools in both countries and see what happens.
Ya true, I've also been looking around and it seems like its mostly the last thing you said, people go where they get in. Thank you!