To hide or not to hide...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZacharyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so as I ready myself to apply for medical school I have begun to question a certain part of my past in regards to how it would be looked upon by med school officials. From when I was 18 until about a year ago, I did some ad work as a model. Now, while it was my source of finances for a while, I highly doubt that it would be looked upon favorably by anyone affiliated with med school admissions. I would like hear some opinions on whether or not I should just opt to leave this out.

Members don't see this ad.

Pics or it's not true?

unless it's modeling for ugly mag co. hot model docs are fine by me :thumbup:

btw TTIUWP

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends... what kind of modeling is it.. is it like sexy/naughty/obscene pics... or just runway kind of modeling? If its the former, don't mention it. Just look at toastee from flavor of love 2. If its the latter, than mention it, and explain why medicine, not modeling, is your passion.

It was nothing obscene or affiliated in any way with nudity or erotica. Just clothing ads, various commercial ads, etc. The most riske' job was with me wearing shorts and no shirt.

Considering your name is most likely Zachary, NPNFTTT (no pics necessary for this thread thx).

:thumbup:

ttiwwt.gif

I'd mention it, it's extremely unique

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i'm female and would like some pictures.

Mention it. It was a job, and something I assume took up a considerable amount of time.

I mean they're not going to be super impressed that they're in the presence of a super model or anything like that - but its unique, will help you stand out, and addresses where part of your time went.

If you can come up with things related to medical school that it helped you with: time management, dealing with people...whatever beneficial traits a med school would want you to have. I mean other than being a source of income it had to have taught you something. Then you'll have more ways to talk about it than just in an interview.

Make it work for you. Say that you were modeling in an attempt to become an icon and create a: 'Center for kids who can't read good ... and want to learn to do other stuff good too.' That way adcoms know you are not only really, really, ridiculously good looking, but that you care about the welfare of society too. Either that, or if the school asks for a pic, send a sexy one wearing only a lab coat .... I'd say its good either way.

Mention it. Why the hell not? Incoming classes have a huge variety of past jobs / interests, anyway.

Definately put it on your application. Like you said, it was income and not in poor taste. One of my closest friends did similar modeling in undergrad ... and he is at Southwestern in his third year of school right now.

Use everything about yourself however, to portray why that makes you a better applicant than others. (ex. having a job while being a fulltime student shows you can manage your time well and that you are capable of multi-tasking)

use your imagination.:thumbup:

You may want to mention the experience, but only in passing. It's unique and may help you stick in the minds of the admissions committee members. But it's definitely going to be the subject of many interview conversations. So make sure you do a lot of thinking about how to answer questions that might arise. If you do a little preparation before hand, and are able to put a mature spin on the experience, it could work in your favor.

Why would anyone care if you did standard modelling work? Why even mention it? It has nothing to do with medicine...why would you be worried about them finding out?

Jeez, for a second I thought you were gonna say you starred in "Man Meat 2000" or something. Don't worry about it!

hey i'm female and would like some pictures.

i found this hilarious.

i think you should put it on ther esp if it was for a sig amount of time.

Alright, so as I ready myself to apply for medical school I have begun to question a certain part of my past in regards to how it would be looked upon by med school officials. From when I was 18 until about a year ago, I did some ad work as a model. Now, while it was my source of finances for a while, I highly doubt that it would be looked upon favorably by anyone affiliated with med school admissions. I would like hear some opinions on whether or not I should just opt to leave this out.

I bet you'll get into a UC med school. They have loads of hottie med students.:love:

Why would anyone care if you did standard modelling work? Why even mention it? It has nothing to do with medicine...

Lots of people put non-medically related ECs on their applications and they should. It shows you did something other than stuff to get into medical school and jobs show responsibility, maturity, time management, etc.

To only put the medically related stuff (I assume you mean research, clinical, and volunteering) would be a HUGE mistake.

modeling

is

HARD work

or so Tyra and Janice Dickinson say.

put it in your app

So. What do you look like?

How'd you find my picture, inaminute? :D Thanks so much for the comments, guys. I really appreciate the input and have decided on including it in my applications. I still feel it's a bit of a risk, but after a couple days of thinking, along with the opinions - it's one I'm willing to take.

How'd you find my picture, inaminute? :D Thanks so much for the comments, guys. I really appreciate the input and have decided on including it in my applications. I still feel it's a bit of a risk, but after a couple days of thinking, along with the opinions - it's one I'm willing to take.

easy. I googled "man boobs."

if they ask what kind of jobs you had then you need to say that you did modeling. otherwise it would be a lie. how much an hour you make?