To match for 2015 or 2016?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BP87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really really need your help with something here! I am a third year Caribbean medical student. I took my step 1 back in July, 2013 and started clinicals in August. I have so far completed Family Medicine, Peds and Surgery. My next two rotations are OBGYN and Psych then I have a 1.5 month gap (I could fill it with an elective or two) and then IM from end of June to beginning of Sept. b/c i am an IMG, I have to have taken both CK and CS before July, 1st (takes time to report scores etc). This means that I will have to take both tests before my IM rotation. Our school doesn't really care if thats the case but I've been hearing different opinions from people who took the test. some say its crucial while others say it doesn't really make a big difference. Problem is if I wait to take those tests AFTER i finish IM, I woudn't make the 2015 match, I'd be forced to apply for 2016. BUT the good thing about that is, I can take Step3 and possibly do research and hence make my application look better?

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions or advice!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Shoot for not having a year gap. I would do hardcore studying/UWorld questions during that 1.5 month gap and knock out Step2/CS.

Hi guys,

I really really need your help with something here! I am a third year Caribbean medical student. I took my step 1 back in July, 2013 and started clinicals in August. I have so far completed Family Medicine, Peds and Surgery. My next two rotations are OBGYN and Psych then I have a 1.5 month gap (I could fill it with an elective or two) and then IM from end of June to beginning of Sept. b/c i am an IMG, I have to have taken both CK and CS before July, 1st (takes time to report scores etc). This means that I will have to take both tests before my IM rotation. Our school doesn't really care if thats the case but I've been hearing different opinions from people who took the test. some say its crucial while others say it doesn't really make a big difference. Problem is if I wait to take those tests AFTER i finish IM, I woudn't make the 2015 match, I'd be forced to apply for 2016. BUT the good thing about that is, I can take Step3 and possibly do research and hence make my application look better?

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions or advice!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot for not having a year gap. I would do hardcore studying/UWorld questions during that 1.5 month gap and knock out Step2/CS.
So u don't think IM is that important for step2?

So u don't think IM is that important for step2?

As long as you make up for not having IM by studying and doing more questions I think you'll be ok. But at the end of the day you know yourself better than anyone here so it has to be your call and what you feel more comfortable with.