To retake or not to retake; that is the question ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highhopes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took the big test a few days ago and I decided it was high time I started contributing to this awesome resource. I also need a bit of advice. I know some people don't like these types of threads so I appologize if you don't approve of those of us who worry about getting into dental school. I would however appreciate any advice, encouragement, or whatever else you have to say about my scores, my post, and anything else except my mom!

So, enough of the bs... here they are
AA 18
TS 18
Bio 18
Chem 17
o.chem 19
Reading 19
Math 16
PAT 19

GPA 3.56, Scienc GPA 3.45

So, here's the deal, I need a little advice on weather or not I should take the test again. I am applying to quite a few schools this summer (early) and I am an out of stater. I have been in school for three years, I will not however, have a B.degree after next year. I am pretty close but I am trying to get in w/out a degree...I'm Curious to know what everyone thinks/// what schools do I have a shot at, I don't really care where I go. Or, do I need to take the dat again in a few months? I appreciate your comments!!!

Just in case you were wondering, I did take the Kaplan course. I studdied like crazy for about a month. It seemed to me that the real test is much easier than any Kaplan or Topscore test that I encountered. Except for the PAT of course. If you have any questions for me I would be happy to answer them. Please just let me know what you think... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i would say without a degree, retake.
even if you had a degree, i'd retake if you were applying to anything but safety schools.

that 16 QR score shouldn't be tough to pull up to an 18 or 19. that, and then a few other subscores going up just 1 point would really improve your DAT.

good luck!

That looks like a good GPA. Most schools want a minimum of 3.5 if you dont have a degree, which you have met. But keep in mind they give preference to those who have completed a degree. DAT is becoming average, but I think your above average GPA would make up for anything there. I think you should go ahead and apply without retaking DAT and see what happens. Or maybe call the schools you're applying to and see what they think. But that DAT is borderline retake/dont retake. I think you should apply with that score first, maybe retake if needed. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to Case, UNLV, Ohio State, Arizona, UOP, Marquette, Temple, OHSU, Nova, and I will add a couple more if you will tell me which ones are saftey schools...
Thanks, High Hopes

IcemanDDS said:
That looks like a good GPA. Most schools want a minimum of 3.5 if you dont have a degree, which you have met. But keep in mind they give preference to those who have completed a degree. DAT is becoming average, but I think your above average GPA would make up for anything there. I think you should go ahead and apply without retaking DAT and see what happens. Or maybe call the schools you're applying to and see what they think. But that DAT is borderline retake/dont retake. I think you should apply with that score first, maybe retake if needed. :luck:

Thanks for the advice. I have a question... If schools are not satisphied with my DAT will they ask me to retake it or will the rejection letters just pile up before I have a chance to do anything about it? :confused: :D :D :D

Highhopes said:
I am applying to Case, UNLV, Ohio State, Arizona, UOP, Marquette, Temple, OHSU, Nova, and I will add a couple more if you will tell me which ones are saftey schools...
Thanks, High Hopes

I don't know if you should apply to UOP, they are big on high DAT scores(20's). However, you have to add BU and NYU to that list for sure.

If you have a strong application in the areas outside of stats, then you might want to give it a shot without retaking it. Other wise I'd recommend you re-take it, those numbers are average at best.... and that 16/17 is just bad.

mvs04 said:
If you have a strong application in the areas outside of stats, then you might want to give it a shot without retaking it. Other wise I'd recommend you re-take it, those numbers are average at best.... and that 16/17 is just bad.

agree

Highhopes said:
Thanks for the advice. I have a question... If schools are not satisphied with my DAT will they ask me to retake it or will the rejection letters just pile up before I have a chance to do anything about it? :confused: :D :D :D
They will most likely send you a rejection and THEN tell you to retake it. Also, no harm done in retaking DAT, as long as you don't do worse :scared:

What schools do you have in mind to apply to?

Make sure you have some shadowing and apply early. Don't bother with that 16 on Math. I had 15 :D :oops: :p

Also, do set your school goals realistically, meaning no Harvard, Columbia or UPen with these stats.

Highhopes said:
Thanks, High Hopes

didn't see that one.

Get rid UNLV, OSU, Arizona, UOP of your list. Then add NYU and BU. Speaking of OSU, you might have a pretty good shot there but you gotta be an Ohio resident.

IcemanDDS said:
They will most likely send you a rejection and THEN tell you to retake it. Also, no harm done in retaking DAT, as long as you don't do worse :scared:

Just to warn you ahead of time

even though you have
GPA:3.5 and DAT: 20/22 + good EC

some still send you annoying letters saying: thanks for your money, but this years we have better applicants than you that have around 3.3 and 19/18

and then it left me thinking... there isnt much i can do if they dont know if they want above or below those stats to inteview.

Highhopes said:
Thanks, High Hopes
I dont think that OHSU will give you much consideration at all. I have been told by the dean of admiss. that 100% of there incoming class will have a degree, and that is the direction they want to move towards. So to be considered w/o a degree you should be very impressive in other areas (DAT). best of luck with it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
retake the DAT?

absolutely not. those are some good scores which would be valid for the next 3 years.

i'd focus on getting the degree rather than retaking the test. you could still apply and see what happens. if you get in you get in. if not, just finish your degree and those scores will get you on.

PERFECT3435 said:
retake the DAT?

I say why not. You'll be more comfortable with it the 2nd time and if you actually spend some more time looking over it, it can't hurt.

Bust it hard and get that degree, then you will have all sort of offers.

If you are going to try to do it without the degree, then Im 50/50 on you retaking the DAT. With your current scores, you should at least take UOP off the list. They want 20's across the board. You should add BU and NYU.

If you are set on not completing your degree then I think you can get into at least one school with your current scores. However, you can improve your chances dramatically if you retake the test and improve.

Would it be that much harder for you to finish your degree before the start of dental school? That would boost you up the ladder quite a bit if you can pull it off.

PERFECT3435 said:
retake the DAT?

absolutely not. those are some good scores which would be valid for the next 3 years.

i'd focus on getting the degree rather than retaking the test. you could still apply and see what happens. if you get in you get in. if not, just finish your degree and those scores will get you on.

Finally, someone who is making some sense. People, you all have to realize that most of you are in the minority of applicants. The majority of applicants get around a17/18/19 on their DAT. Forget those that say this DAT is too low...its good enough. However, with that said, you probably shouldnt apply to DAT schools like UOP (as others have mentioned). I have similar scores and got into 2 schools and am waitlisted at another (although I do have a BS). I dont know why a piece of paper is so important...but it does make a difference. Even if you dont get in, reapply and you are almost a shoe-in for the next cyle (when you go to graduate).

CJWolf said:
I say why not. You'll be more comfortable with it the 2nd time and if you actually spend some more time looking over it, it can't hurt.

retaking the DAT does not mean you'll do better. aside from the QR (wont matter), the rest of his scores are great. forget the SDN standards. i can name several people who have gotten in with 13's and 14's on their DAT's woth lower GPA than OP.

DB#1 said:
I don't know if you should apply to UOP, they are big on high DAT scores(20's). However, you have to add BU and NYU to that list for sure.

Agreed. UOP will frown upon your 16 and 17 scores. As far as retaking the test, etc., in my opinion you are right on the fence. Certianly if you retake the test and get higher scores your chances will improve greatly. While your scores aren't bad they aren't really stellar either. You do have a solid gpa, but your lacking a degree might also be of a hinderance as dental schools to give preference to applicants that either have a degree or will have one in the near future. I encourage you to apply (and do it early!) and play the admissions game. Best of luck, and welcome to SDN! :thumbup:

Don't retake the DAT

Apply to Case, Temple, UNLV, Arizona, Nova, Temple, USC, NYU, Boston, Marquette, Indiana, Detriot, Tufts, Loma Linda, Pitt, Ohio State.

On your application it says projected graduation. Why don't you project graduating next summer, so take classes this summer, fall, spring, then the next summer. Once you get in then you can decide if you really want to graduate. I got into three schools with stats that are very close to yours. I am not graduating either, they really don't care at the majority of the schools that I listed. I would recommend applying with about 100 credits though, if you can.

Dat:18/19/17 (14 math!) not good, (21 biology)
GPA:3.5/3.4

Alright, thank you all for the good advice given. I will get rid of UOP, I didn't really want to go there anyways. :rolleyes:
It still seems like the responses I am getting are about 50/50... Is there anyone out there that applied... got denied.... retook the dat..... and got accepeted all in the same application cycle?
As far as the B.S.degree, I hope it doesn't ruin my chances... I am actually pretty close to getting it but it would probably take me 1 more semester after next year. I guess I will do what I have to do... Keep any good advice coming, Thanks again...

Highhopes said:
Alright, thank you all for the good advice given. I will get rid of UOP, I didn't really want to go there anyways. :rolleyes:
It still seems like the responses I am getting are about 50/50... Is there anyone out there that applied... got denied.... retook the dat..... and got accepeted all in the same application cycle?
As far as the B.S.degree, I hope it doesn't ruin my chances... I am actually pretty close to getting it but it would probably take me 1 more semester after next year. I guess I will do what I have to do... Keep any good advice coming, Thanks again...

look dude,

the DAT is not your problem. stop thinking that your DAT scores are bad or not adequate. they are fine.

your problem is you not having the damn degree. hope i have made my point clean.

do whatever you have to do to get that BS is the right answer my friend. shortcuts will not payoff in dental school.

good luck.

I don't know why you don't just take it again. with those scores you might get in yes, but you won't get any acceptances until the spring because you won't be the first ones they select. so why not take it again in august and apply then. you still be in the earlier group of applicants. I applied in August and had an interview in Oct and was accepted to a couple places on Dec first. they all say you need that degree but if you had 20's you wouldn't need it either. if you are serious about being a dentist you should really do both, trying to slack now is not a good sign for you in the future in my opinion.

For what it's worth, here's my scores:

AA 18
TS 19
PAT 18
GC 20
OC 19
Bio 18
RC 19
QR 14

My GPA:
Cum = 3.6
Sci = 3.4

I applied semi-early, but added some schools late. I have a degree, but not from what some schools call a "Top Tier". It's a degree in marketing and all my science classes were taken at a CC. I have been on several waitlists, but no acceptances. I'm in Arizona so no residency can be factored in. If you apply early and to the right schools you MIGHT have a chance, but I would still recommend retaking the DAT to set yourself apart. If you don't have residency or something on your side to set you apart, then get ready for the long-haul, and don't be surprised if you don't get in. I just went through it, but I don't think I'll get in even with my waitlists. RETAKE the DAT and set yourself apart. If you can get your AA above 18 I think you will have an even better shot. Start with the subjects you like, or were particularly weak in (like my QR). By raising those, or your RC, you will be able to set yourself apart and get in. Good Luck.