To switch gears or continue on? Checking in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TurtleGnome

Hello everyone! Been lurking for a couple of weeks. I can't get a straight answer out of the physician-scientists I've worked with, so thought I'd asked here.

I've always known I wanted a career as a scientific investigator. Academic research has been my ideal job for a long time now. But when I imagined my future, it always included some aspect of clinical and patient work.

Someone pushed me to consider a physician scientist career (which I didn't know existed), so I shadowed one, and have done a lot of thinking and agonizing before deciding that this is what I want to do with my life. I've more clinicals lined up.

As it stands, I've completed my second year of undergraduate. Double major: biology and chemistry. Very good GPA. I'm a good test taker so I'm not particularly worried about that aspect.

My research experience is what concerns me. I come from a small liberal arts college, and we don't have the funds (or facilities) to be carrying out biomedical research. I work as a research assistant to a professor of biology who I love. We do mostly ecological significance of invasive species. My speciality includes a particular keystone species and how a very common parasite effects their reproductive and predator avoidance capabilities. I've done this for two years now, and a manuscript I wrote has recently been accepted. It's a low impact journal for sure but I wrote it alone and I've learned a lot about the process.

The summer after freshman year, I worked as a research intern at Harvard Medical. Pretty famous PI. I learned a lot there and most of my time there was spent doing bioinformatics work/bench work for a particular project. We got a paper out of it, on which I am a co-author.

This summer I'm in New York at an REU funded program. Another relatively well known PI. Doing cancer stuff.

My overall question is this: Do you think I'm in good shape as of now, and should I try to shift my research I conduct at my school? I'm worried admissions committees will blow me off because they think I'm not interested in real biochem/cell/cancer research because I work in what is essentially behavioural ecology.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to have the skill-set, finding opportunities when you have limited opportunities, etc. Keep doing what you are doing (i.e.: summer at R1 bench institutions, etc), and you should be fine next summer for an application. If you do well in the MCAT as you indicate and keep your GPA, you have enough to be competitive. PM me with specifics, if you need...

Thanks for your feedback! I'll continue doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. :)