To the lucky accepted: Anyone just plain bored?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbpatto

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else just idling until school starts?

Do you now spend a good portion of your day waiting for the next one to come along?

Are you feeling oddly introspective now that your blinding ambition to get into med school has at long last reached fruition?

Have you lost interest in your job (or for you younger folks, school)?

Has that lab microscope lost it's appeal since you got that acceptance letter?

Has the pursuit of earning enough money to pay this month's rent become any less meaningful considering the enormous loans you're about to take out?

Do you feel suddenly guilty for time wasted in shallow premed organizations?

Does anyone deny to others that they read SDN, only to find themselves glued to it for several hours each day?

Did anyone else ever promise themselve's that they'd never post anything on SDN, only to find themselves starting rather meaningless threads for the shear vanity of having others respond to them?

Members don't see this ad.

I constantly imagine how my life would be if I attended each particular school, and it drives me nuts.

Yes,
Yes,
Yes very much so (good thing Im enrolled in poetry this semester),
Yes(and yes) although not so much interest as motivation,
No,
Not exactly but the idea of acrueing so much negative wealth makes me nervous,
Luckily I never wasted time in premed clubs but I did waste time thinking about joining one but only a tiny abount so really its only like a sliver of regret,
YES!!!,
you're psychic?!!! wow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:
I constantly imagine how my life would be if I attended each particular school, and it drives me nuts.

I second this...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood

I refuse to do this untill I have the actual school acceptance in hand. Otherwise I would go absolutely nuts.

Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
a little
Yes
not really
no
nope, post here all the time

luckily, i have mostly easy classes this semester, so it's okay to be totally disinterested in college now and easy to halfass everything. i am supposed to be enjoying my last semester of college, but i'm just so ready to go to med school and still so into the whole process of waiting/deciding where i want to go that i'm not really living up my last semester.

so how are you guys deciding which schools are your top choices?

dbpatto said:
Anyone else just idling until school starts?

Do you now spend a good portion of your day waiting for the next one to come along?

Are you feeling oddly introspective now that your blinding ambition to get into med school has at long last reached fruition?

Have you lost interest in your job (or for you younger folks, school)?

Has that lab microscope lost it's appeal since you got that acceptance letter?

Has the pursuit of earning enough money to pay this month's rent become any less meaningful considering the enormous loans you're about to take out?

Do you feel suddenly guilty for time wasted in shallow premed organizations?

Does anyone deny to others that they read SDN, only to find themselves glued to it for several hours each day?

Did anyone else ever promise themselve's that they'd never post anything on SDN, only to find themselves starting rather meaningless threads for the shear vanity of having others respond to them?
yes
yes
yes
yes
no
i dont pay rent:)
hahaha im not answering tat
nope...i admit it:)
lol yep

LauraMac said:
so how are you guys deciding which schools are your top choices?

I'm going by attending the only one that's accepted me. (It was already pretty a top choice - and luckily an early first interview/ first acceptance too. So being lazy and ignoring other interviews since has been terribly liberating.)

Btw, I was pretty drunk when I posted my questions last night. [I'm surprised everything's spelled right (is it?)] So thanks for humoring me and responding.

Anyone else find themselves drinking a little too much too often these days?
The excuse of "Hey, I got into medical school!" never seems to wear out - and it's been several months for me at this point.

Ouch.

dbpatto said:
I'm going by attending the only one that's accepted me. (It was already pretty a top choice - and luckily an early first interview/ first acceptance too. So being lazy and ignoring other interviews since has been terribly liberating.)

Btw, I was pretty drunk when I posted my questions last night. [I'm surprised everything's spelled right (is it?)] So thanks for humoring me and responding.

The excuse of "Hey, I got into medical school!" never seems to wear out - and it's been several months for me at this point.

Ouch.
NJMS rite?

I'm still VERY anxious to see what March will bring...

I'm not bored, more like jittery. It is hard to be in school right now, especially since I will most likely hear from my top three choices this week or next!

Members don't see this ad :)
dbpatto said:

I'm in the same boat, it's nice to kick back and relax for a bit (even though I do have to go work still)

dbpatto said:

Ouch.

Ah, yeah. In fact, I'm hurting pretty bad still from this weekend. I'm not sure my body can tolerate any more of the "I got into medical school" or the "I'd better do this while I still can" excuses.

Yes, I definitely have lost some interest in my job, I still like research and whatnot, but I am certainly counting my days. One odd thing, is that I have these really horrible upstairs neighbors (wake us up early every morning going buckwild, do annoying things at 1am so we are always sleep deprived, etc.) and I thought that when I got into med school, I'd be able to tolerate them better because I would know that I was moving. But I've found myself getting more and more irritated and intolerant. So much so that I told one of them off the other night. I'd say I'm getting fairly impatient to begin school.

I am ultra bored. i can't believe how much tv I watch and how many photo albums and scrapbooks i've finished ... this is sad...however, I am oddly enjoying the fact that NOTHING is going on. If only it were summer during this time, I'd be at the pool 99 percent of my free time.

BlueMagpie said:
One odd thing, is that I have these really horrible upstairs neighbors (wake us up early every morning going buckwild, do annoying things at 1am so we are always sleep deprived, etc.) and I thought that when I got into med school, I'd be able to tolerate them better because I would know that I was moving. But I've found myself getting more and more irritated and intolerant. So much so that I told one of them off the other night. I'd say I'm getting fairly impatient to begin school.

you think 1am is bad? the people above me regularly party til 5am (literally at least once a week)! i sleep at really odd times of the day, though, so it's not that that bothers me so much. it's the fact that they play really loud music like all day long any day of the week. 8am, 2pm, 7pm, midnight, 4am... it doesn't matter... there will be music pounding through my walls 7 days a week. oh the joys of living near all college kids!

Pinkertinkle said:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood

Now, I am not trying to be a pretentious jerk here (although I know I'm going to sound like one!)--but wasn't Frost being ironic in that poem? I mean, if you read the poem through to the end? The whole point of it is that taking one road rather than the other really made NO difference. The way it is used in high school graduations and all is a total mistake! The true message to take from the poem is that really, you should not sweat this decision, as it will hardly matter in the end.

Sorry, I am really only posting this as a way of demonstrating the ennui and general uselessness that has come over me since finding out I'll be going to med school next year. I had to take up SOME new activity--why not official SDN literary critic?? Seeing as I have nothing else going on...

pushkin said:
Now, I am not trying to be a pretentious jerk here (although I know I'm going to sound like one!)--but wasn't Frost being ironic in that poem? I mean, if you read the poem through to the end? The whole point of it is that taking one road rather than the other really made NO difference. The way it is used in high school graduations and all is a total mistake! The true message to take from the poem is that really, you should not sweat this decision, as it will hardly matter in the end.

Sorry, I am really only posting this as a way of demonstrating the ennui and general uselessness that has come over me since finding out I'll be going to med school next year. I had to take up SOME new activity--why not official SDN literary critic?? Seeing as I have nothing else going on...

:laugh:

you're one of my favorite posters ;)

pushkin said:

Thats why I specifically quoted only the first three lines, which describe my current feelings, not the rest. Don't you want to attend all the schools kind enough to accept you? I do.

dbpatto said:

Ouch.
yeah.... since i was accepted to one of my top choices, I can't drag myself to go work in my research lab... I dont REALLY have to be there but its considered impolite not to show up during the break. Just this weekend I got so completely sauced with my roommate that I ceased to speak english and had to apoligize to her the next day for failing to warn her that albeit we live in america, I am still PR at heart and this is never more evident than after a lot of rum. :rolleyes: oh well. Here's to being a doctor... now to figure out how to drag myself to that ugly black lab bench...

erlenmeyers and rbf's sicken me

stormpr said:
yeah.... since i was accepted to one of my top choices, I can't drag myself to go work in my research lab... I dont REALLY have to be there but its considered impolite not to show up during the break. Just this weekend I got so completely sauced with my roommate that I ceased to speak english and had to apoligize to her the next day for failing to warn her that albeit we live in america, I am still PR at heart and this is never more evident than after a lot of rum. :rolleyes: oh well. Here's to being a doctor... now to figure out how to drag myself to that ugly black lab bench...

erlenmeyers and rbf's sicken me

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

sorry if i don't seem too sympathetic over your boredom; those of us not accepted have bigger problems than boredom and then again there are even worse problems in life than rejection or no acceptances.

Psycho Doctor said:

sorry if i don't seem too sympathetic over your boredom; those of us not accepted have bigger problems than boredom and then again there are even worse problems in life than rejection or no acceptances.

:love:

Psycho Doctor said:

:( :luck: :luck: :luck:

I thought you had an acceptance, Psycho?

Anyone else with acceptances feeling really freakin SCARED about next year?

Psycho Doctor said:

Hey now, let's not underestimate the dangers of boredom. "An idle hand stirs the Devil's coffee" as they say. OK, I made that up. But, honestly though, I don't have too too much sympathy for those not yet accepted. (sorry!) Instead I offer hope. Keep chugging along and you guys will find yourselves mulling over your navals someday too. Until then, chin up!

I mean, it took me several years to get accepted after college. That includes an excrutiating SMP program and the unpleasantness of retaking of the MCAT. And after the agony of sitting on a handful of waitlists all last summer only to be cruelly struck down all at once in early August, I feel pretty vindicated - kinda like the Spaniard from the Princess Bride ("My name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father; prepare to die.") after he kills the six-fingered nobleman and doesn't know what to do with himself.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't offering the boredom as any sort of personal malady. It's nothing to complain about. My boredom at best is _intensely_ pleasurable and at worst gives me something to post about on SDN.

Cheers.

Nittany Lion said:
Anyone else with acceptances feeling really freakin SCARED about next year?

yeah...

me