To the Tulane Class of 2009, LISTEN UP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moved to New Orleans with the hope of going to Tulane University for medical school. After my acceptance I was totally stoked about becoming part of the Tulane family while studying medicine in such a kick ass town. Unfortunately I have been less than impressed by Tulane medical students. This was affirmed tonight when I went out with my friends and was almost assaulted by a group of 4 fourth year Tulane medical students. I was really disappointed, I loved Tulane but this encounter really brought home the fact that the types of people that go to Tulane are arrogant self absorbed losers. During the course of our confrontation this guy actually said “dude, we're 4th years at Tulane our friend just died", as if the excuse for their behavior was the death of their friend. That is pure exploitation, I’m so sure you are going to blame the fact that you act like a total ass on your dead friend, for god sake stand up and take responsibility for yourself!!!!!!!. The bottom line is I have seen this self righteous attitude at Tulane before, but I dismissed it as an anomaly. The unfortunate fact is Tulane University School of Medicine only cares about GPA and MCAT and it shows in the types of students that choose to attend the school. To the class of 2009, I hope you realize what you are getting yourselves into, New Orleans is a great city but I would go to the Caribbean before being caught dead at Tulane.

Members don't see this ad.

Homer Doughnuts said:
I moved to New Orleans with the hope of going to Tulane University for medical school. After my acceptance I was totally stoked about becoming part of the Tulane family while studying medicine in such a kick ass town. Unfortunately I have been less than impressed by Tulane medical students. This was affirmed tonight when I went out with my friends and was almost assaulted by a group of 4 fourth year Tulane medical students. I was really disappointed, I loved Tulane but this encounter really brought home the fact that the types of people that go to Tulane are arrogant self absorbed losers. During the course of our confrontation this guy actually said “dude, we're 4th years at Tulane our friend just died", as if the excuse for their behavior was the death of their friend. That is pure exploitation, I’m so sure you are going to blame the fact that you act like a total ass on your dead friend, for god sake stand up and take responsibility for yourself!!!!!!!. The bottom line is I have seen this self righteous attitude at Tulane before, but I dismissed it as an anomaly. The unfortunate fact is Tulane University School of Medicine only cares about GPA and MCAT and it shows in the types of students that choose to attend the school. To the class of 2009, I hope you realize what you are getting yourselves into, New Orleans is a great city but I would go to the Caribbean before being caught dead at Tulane.

what a load of bull****.

Doc.Holliday said:
what a load of bull****.

Is that all you got ??? This is not BS Tulane students SUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
Homer Doughnuts said:
Is that all you got ???

at 4 in the morning midst writing a history research paper, yes thats about all I've got. youve said bad things about tulane before, and i didnt believe much of it then. aside from the fact that your little story isnt quite coherent, even if you rewrote it so we could figure out what the hell actually happenedi doubt that i would attribute it to anything more than your distorted personality/sense of reality. in previous posts youve made it seem like you were a grad student of some sort, in others you seem like youre in med school, what are you exactly?

Doc.Holliday said:
at 4 in the morning midst writing a history research paper, yes thats about all I've got. youve said bad things about tulane before, and i didnt believe much of it then. aside from the fact that your little story isnt quite coherent, even if you rewrote it so we could figure out what the hell actually happenedi doubt that i would attribute it to anything more than your distorted personality/sense of reality. in previous posts youve made it seem like you were a grad student of some sort, in others you seem like youre in med school, what are you exactly?

A grad Student at Tulane going to medical school, does that clear it up.

yep... so a bunch of 4th years jumped you in a bar eh?

I guess I am just aggravated that I see this crap at Tulane all the time. Its unfortunate b/c Tulane is a good school but some of the students really do a disservice to the university.

im not going to try and argue tulane is perfect and so are all its students, but i assume every school has its less than spectacular members. im not discounting your story, but it really does seem slightly far fetched in its present presentation. and i cant help but think that maybe these instances gravitate towards you for some reason.

Doc.Holliday said:
im not going to try and argue tulane is perfect and so are all its students, but i assume every school has its less than spectacular members. im not discounting your story, but it really does seem slightly far fetched in its present presentation. and i cant help but think that maybe these instances gravitate towards you for some reason.

Fair enough, as they say there are two sides to every story; Tulane may be the school for some, but definitely not for me. Good luck on your paper.

well, you've made your stance on tulane med clear, all i can say is that you can't attribute some guys drunken rage behavior and label the whole student body as bad.

I think your statement about tulane only caring about gpa and mcat is wrong, the averages for the classes are only 3.6 and 31 and thats not high at all by med shcool standards. You got some people on this site claiming its one of the easiest to get in, and that its not that good. I just dont think anyone who will be at Tulane should let these comments get to them. Those 4th years will be gone anyway, when i interviewed the students i met didn't seem arrogant and self-righteous, but it was only one day. I dont go there yet, so i wont say everything your saying is BS.

I guess your sig's right after all

i hope you find your place. sucks to be in a place you dont like. take it easy.

vikaskoth said:
well, you've made your stance on tulane med clear, all i can say is that you can't attribute some guys drunken rage behavior and label the whole student body as bad.

I think your statement about tulane only caring about gpa and mcat is wrong, the averages for the classes are only 3.6 and 31 and thats not high at all by med shcool standards. You got some people on this site claiming its one of the easiest to get in, and that its not that good. I just dont think anyone who will be at Tulane should let these comments get to them. Those 4th years will be gone anyway, when i interviewed the students i met didn't seem arrogant and self-righteous, but it was only one day. I dont go there yet, so i wont say everything your saying is BS.

I guess your sig's right after all

agreed, i know quite a few tulane first years and residents, all are really cool laid back people. labeling them as uptight and arrogant does seem like total BS.

and as for people claiming its not that good... hmmm... thats a nice match list for a "not that good" med school id say.

i suppose my point is that on SDN - you will find a lot of helpful stuff throughout these forums, but there will always be people making rash/radical comments about affirmative action, medical schools, undergrad schools, etc..

Lately, i've noticed the tulane bashing and sure keep whatever opinion you want, but these grand announcements are over the top and i dont see the point of targeting others with these rants.

also, i think i've heard repeatedly that *Insert name* med school's students are arrogant, cocky, mean, nasty etc.

I remember learning that when Andy Martin (who has since passed away from cancer) was undergoing chemotherapy, half his class (including women) at Tulane shaved their heads in solidarity with him. This was during their third year and thus, clinical rotations, when they had to be thinking about grades, stress, etc. And yet, they did it.

Doesn't sound too self-centered to me!

Homer, you hate Tulane, and that's fine. There are plenty of us who love it and love the people we met. For the people who are going to Tulane in the fall, let us enjoy our acceptance and enjoy our school, and leave the radical Tulane-hate to yourself. If someone asks for opinions on Tulane, go ahead and speak your piece - but until then, starting whole threads just to bash the school seems childish.

Homer Doughnuts said:
I moved to New Orleans with the hope of going to Tulane University for medical school. After my acceptance I was totally stoked about becoming part of the Tulane family while studying medicine in such a kick ass town. Unfortunately I have been less than impressed by Tulane medical students. This was affirmed tonight when I went out with my friends and was almost assaulted by a group of 4 fourth year Tulane medical students. I was really disappointed, I loved Tulane but this encounter really brought home the fact that the types of people that go to Tulane are arrogant self absorbed losers. During the course of our confrontation this guy actually said "dude, we're 4th years at Tulane our friend just died", as if the excuse for their behavior was the death of their friend. That is pure exploitation, I'm so sure you are going to blame the fact that you act like a total ass on your dead friend, for god sake stand up and take responsibility for yourself!!!!!!!. The bottom line is I have seen this self righteous attitude at Tulane before, but I dismissed it as an anomaly. The unfortunate fact is Tulane University School of Medicine only cares about GPA and MCAT and it shows in the types of students that choose to attend the school. To the class of 2009, I hope you realize what you are getting yourselves into, New Orleans is a great city but I would go to the Caribbean before being caught dead at Tulane.

The tall bald guy is a *****.

Also, why would you MOVE to new orleans with just "the hope" of going to tulane med?

But other than that, I agree. You tulane acceptees should really re-think your tulane acceptance.

indo said:
But other than that, I agree. You tulane acceptees should really re-think your tulane acceptance.

care to elaborate?

Homer Doughnuts said:
This was affirmed tonight when I went out with my friends and was almost assaulted by a group of 4 fourth year Tulane medical students.

What in the heck is almost assaulted? Is that like almost pregnant? I don't get it.

So basically your friend got into an argument with 4 people and it was ALL their fault. I hate when people attempt to assault me when I'm just minding my own bidness.

Yes...Tulane acceptees withdraw! Flee! Vanquish injustice...

SO THIS FREAKIN' WAITLIST CAN MOOOOOOOVE :smuggrin: !

2tall said:
Yes...Tulane acceptees withdraw! Flee! Vanquish injustice...

SO THIS FREAKIN' WAITLIST CAN MOOOOOOOVE :smuggrin: !
Amen brother.

Doc.Holliday said:
care to elaborate?

They should evacuate their positions in next year's class so that more deserving people (me, mostly) can have their spot.

Well, I'm a second year at Tulane, and I've been reading this thread, mostly because it concerns me that anyone would have such nasty things to say about the school. And particularly its students.

Several of you may have heard the story of Andy Martin, and how the 3rd years--now 4th years--shaved their heads for moral support during his illness. But what you may not know is that another classmate of theirs died this past thursday in a traffic accident. Homer Doughnuts had the misfortune of running into that student's classmates the very evening of the day the wreck happened. So maybe we could all cut them some slack...

As for the students here in general, I think that on the whole they're a really cool group of people. I like some more than others, of course. The classes are made up of interesting and multifaceted people, not just med school drones. And even the ones who study all the time are generally helpful and contribute something to the class as a whole.

The same goes for the school. Do I love every single thing about it? No. Nor would I love every single thing about any other school. But the basic science education is solid, and the clinical education is outstanding, and the people in charge are genuinely good people. I may not always agree with everything, but I definitely feel like I am viewed as an adult here. And as for GPA and MCAT being all that Tulane cares about, well, if that were true, I'd never even have been interviewed.

So, Homer Doughnuts has his opinion, and I'm sure he feels he has good reason. But I think that perhaps he's judging Tulane harshly simply out of familiarity, and that the reason other schools seem to compare favorably is simply because he knows less about them.

Those of you who are hoping for a waitlist spot to open up, I'd estimate that about 1/3 to 1/2 of my class got in off the waitlist. I called the dean's office in mid-April the year I applied, and was told that the school expected to take about 70-80 more off the wait list. They were also pretty up front with me about when I might expect to hear "something," and called with my acceptance the very week they said I'd hear. And if I hadn't been sold already on the school, that one thing would have done it.