To those of you who wrote about medical assisting in your PS, what did you write about?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsme87123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am re-reading my personal statement and thinking that my medical assistant patient story was less about actually doing and I just talked about consoling a patient. I know I can't change anything, but with my DO application, I am thinking about modifying it to explain what I actually did (hands-on stuff)?

If anyone could elaborate on how they talked about medical assisting in their PS that would be a helpful guideline. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools expect you to have enough experience to understand what it means to be a doctor (i.e., that you know what you're getting into). However, they do not necessarily expect you to have hands on experience treating patients. While I cannot comment on your particular background and experience, in general, I would be wary about overselling your "hands on" roll with patients.

In your personal statement, your goal is to show that you i) have a strong desire to pursue medicine; ii) know what you're getting into; and (iii) possess the traits and experiences necessary to be a good medical student and doctor. You can accomplish these goals by describing what you've learned through observation OR hands on experience.

Reactions: 3 users