To those students moving across the country to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeluver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do your parents want to go with you to help you move? I have a friend who is leaving for medical school and her parents want to fly out with her to help her settle in. She doesnt' feel the need for this and was wondering if other parents are doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish my parents would come, I have a wife and 3 children, any help should
be appreciated.
:D

My parents offered to drive one of our cars out and then fly back so I wouldn't have to rent a trailer to pull it out there. I took them up on the offer. They want to see where I'll be for the next four years, and visit D.C., I want to save money. Win-Win situation. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
why is he/she too good for their parents?

It's extra help, especially necessary if you don't know anyone in the area and need help moving heavy boxes or furniture.

My parents are going up with me from Missouri to Cleveland to help me settle in and get furniture (AHHHHH!! furniture...) and see the place I'll be living. I think you should be happy that your parents care enough to want to help you with the "big move".

coffeeluver said:
Do your parents want to go with you to help you move? I have a friend who is leaving for medical school and her parents want to fly out with her to help her settle in. She doesnt' feel the need for this and was wondering if other parents are doing this?

personally, i am always happy to have help moving since it is such a pain. plus, doesn't she want her parents to attend her white coat ceremony anyway?

of course my parents are helping me move to my new place. some people seem almost ashamed that their parents would want to come out, but i totally don't get that. i'm glad my parents are coming, both for the help and for the company. they're fun to be around. :)

my parents and i made one trip out to philly from san francisco in early july to scout out places to live, wrap up finaid stuff, and get a feel for the area in general. my parents also came out with me when i moved in in the middle of aug, since im still too young to rent a minivan on my own, plus id need another person to help me move the new tv and furniture. its a very nice thing to have if you guys can afford it, and i advise your parents coming out at least once by the time you start school just for their sake of mind.

life is a lot easier when you dont have to pay the surcharge for car rentals. its also a lot sadder :(

My parents are coming along for sure. My dad won't ever pass up the opportunity to pass up a road trip. My parents also really want to see where I will be till 2008 or so. It would be much harder for me if my parents didn't come along...

My parents aren't coming along, since they live just down the road from where I'm headed. However they will definitely be helping me unpack the U-Haul.

Moving across the country sucks ass. Lucky me--I get to move from Austin, TX, all the way to Ann Arbor, MI, in just 7 weeks. My parents aren't going to help me move, they never do. Hopefully, I'll manage to get rid of most of my crap by then; ideally, I want to move with my computer, some clothes, my degree, and some files. That's it. No furniture, no books, no kitchenware....nada.

Those are great parents and I think appreciating their help is in line. I hope my parents will help me move when the time comes (I have no doubt they will and I am grateful).

elias514 said:
Moving across the country sucks ass. Lucky me--I get to move from Austin, TX, all the way to Ann Arbor, MI.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY?!? just think that's half of what some people have to do (like those moving from CA to the East Coast and vice versa).