to those turning down Cornell or UMASS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patsfan2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NYC is way better than Worcester...but hey, that is just my opinion. Good luck on your decision!!

My thoughts on UMass were that I disliked the area of Worcester, and the immediate area around the hospital-- with both the school and the hospital being under construction and surrounded by parking lots, I thought it was ugly. It sounds stupid but ater going to a beautiful undergrad campus, I appreciate the layout of a school, and it does affect my happiness.

Not wanting to live in Worcester, I also thought I might instead live in Boston. But the last thing I want to do during med school, when time is limited, is be commuting every day. And living far away means my attachment to the community wouldn't be very strong, again not what I'm looking for when I start med school.

Lastly, I was worried about diversity in the student population. Even though the admissions process probably does a good job of choosing people with different backgrounds, the people I met during my interview day didn't seem all that stimulating nor did the students, although the latter were very nice and no doubt bright.

Even though the price tag is a huge plus, in the end I just couldn't envision myself being happy there and that is why I chose not to go. That is not to say UMass does not have a lot going for it. I think it does. You can make a list of pros and cons for each school, and talk to tons of people but in the end, some amount of this decision comes down to what feels right for you, and where you think you'd be happy. Good luck in your decision.