TOEFL Alternatives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ourlovestory

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
Is TOEFL the only accepted proof of language proficiency? I was told Intensive English Programs may be accepted at a university as an alternative for the TOEFL. It is hard to get 100+ in the TOEFL and this might be a good option for people who want to strengthen their language and want to meet the language requirement at the same time.

Do you know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, some programs also consider IELTS score. But mostly US schools require TOEFL score , getting above 100 might be tough but possible. Also 100 above is not min required score , you can apply with score the school considers. If your profile is strong as a whole, TOEFL score less than 100 won't matter as long as you have a score what the school requires.

Thank you drKJ. Any thoughts or info on the intensive English programs? Have you ever seen any discussions about it? I searched this forum but could not find any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard or seen any discussion about it either. I can say these programs can supplement the english profiency requirement but they can't be taken to replace TOEFL.

Thanks again drKJ! I hope more colleagues chime in and share their thoughts.

Every dental program has this info in their requirements - its TOEFL,IELTS - which is not at all easier then TOEFL or some other test. Some say, that you don't have to take TOEFL if you were enrolled in a program taught in English for 5 years or if you are a resident of the US. You need to check each program you are interested in