Token what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontradthrowaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I initially dropped out of college at 19, had quite a few different jobs: landscaper, laborer, mow crew supervisor, retail. Anyway, was compelled to return to school after reading a book about a laborer, much like myself, deciding to go back for medical school and became an orthopedic surgeon.

Shortly later, I returned to the same community college, got my associates, and transferred to a large state university for BSc Biochemistry/Mol. Biology GPA 3.68. During undergrad, I worked every semester either as a doorman or janitor. In school, I also worked in a neurobiology as ab tech/research assistant for 1.5 years performing genotyping/common molecular biology techniques. No publications or real significant extracurricular activities due to school and work. I am now 28 years old (white).

After graduating, I have been a medical scribe for 1.5 years, yet to take the MCAT, but planning soon.
Likely to get LOR from doctors, maybe somewhat strong letters from school.

I am really, really, only interested in UMass Medical school but amendable to others, also DO school.

Unsure how I stack up to other applicants or what other schools I have a realistic chance in being offered an interview.

Best!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like you have clinical experience, research and a solid GPA (break out science and cumulative). Basically you're just waiting on the MCAT to make your school list.

I don't think you will need to go the DO route (unless you want to) but that again depends on MCAT.

I wouldn't sweat the extracurriculars. If you are working to support your education, people are understanding in that regard.