Toledo MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

df411969

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to a few MD programs (Hofstra, Drexel) and I was just recently accepted full tuition scholarship to Toledo's MD-PhD program. Obviously I am considering it strongly. There are some caveats however. I need to maintain a High Pass on all of my coursework in order to retain the scholarships (otherwise it gets turned into a loan). That seems a little tough. Anyone have any thoughts on the program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PHD interest? My previous research advisor recently took a faculty position at Toledo. You can PM if you like.

As far as your decision goes, I think you should think most about whether the MD vs dual degree is really where you should be focusing your energy. I'll defer to the more experienced members of the board for their advice. Congrats on the options, and good luck with the choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that is a difficult part of the deal. I don't know whether it is immediate or they have some sort of probation. In response to ladyterp dual degree is definitely more towards where I want to take my career.

Actually I could be wrong on the loan part. It seems that they just won't renew the scholarship, so I'd need to file for financial aid at that point. Wasn't too clear in the letter.

If you lost the scholarship, would it become more expensive to attend vs your MD acceptances? And, how does the PhD funding work for you? Is the PhD funding under the same conditions (maintain high pass), or do you have a more standard graduate student package (I.e. Full tuition remission + stipend)?

If you lost the scholarship, would it become more expensive to attend vs your MD acceptances? And, how does the PhD funding work for you? Is the PhD funding under the same conditions (maintain high pass), or do you have a more standard graduate student package (I.e. Full tuition remission + stipend)?

Yeah, I second this. Also, the fact that they're forcing that high of grades the first two years when virtually no one cares (and when the students are far intelligent enough to know this) reeks of pedantic nit-picky academically-polluted poppycock.