Too late to add a couple more DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukaDoncicLuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a couple more DO schools because I haven't heard anything back from any that I applied to with some of them having no interview dates left (KCU). Would this be at total donation at this point if I get the secondaries complete by this weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of adding a couple more DO schools because I haven't heard anything back from any that I applied to with some of them having no interview dates left (KCU). Would this be at total donation at this point if I get the secondaries complete by this weekend?
I can't recommend it. The holidays are upon us, so that's a lost 1-2 weeks.

By the time your app is turned around, and you get an actual II, you'd be interviewing in Mar or April, and by then, we get very picky.

Starting in March, we see an uptick in the stats of interviewees. These are the people who didn't get into MD schools, but had MD caliber stats (but not essays, strategic school lists, or interview skills)

Reactions: 1 user
where did you apply?

PCOM, LECOM and KCUMB.

Starting in March, we see an uptick in the stats of interviewees. These are the people who didn't get into MD schools, but had MD caliber stats (but not essays, strategic school lists, or interview skills)

FWIW I have a 3.3 gpa (3.7 in last 70-80 units of upper div science) and a >523 MCAT. Appreciate the feedback.

You make me depressed :(

PCOM, LECOM and KCUMB.

FWIW I have a 3.3 gpa (3.7 in last 70-80 units of upper div science) and a >523 MCAT. Appreciate the feedback.

You can get into MD. I wouldn’t even consider DO schools with your MCAT.

As a reinventor, DO schools HAVE to be on the list.

I guess it depends on the person. With a 3.7 in the last 70-80 units and a 523+ MCAT I personally wouldn’t consider DO until the second cycle. One cycle all MD and then a second cycle with 25+ MD and 10 DO.

Honestly OPs stats are so high I kinda wonder if the DO schools are yield protecting. A 3.3/515 won’t get yield protected, but a 3.3/523+ might. Especially if he only applied to a handful of DO schools.

I guess it depends on the person. With a 3.7 in the last 70-80 units and a 523+ MCAT I personally wouldn’t consider DO until the second cycle. One cycle all MD and then a second cycle with 25+ MD and 10 DO.

Honestly OPs stats are so high I kinda wonder if the DO schools are yield protecting. A 3.3/515 won’t get yield protected, but a 3.3/523+ might. Especially if he only applied to a handful of DO schools.

While we all love come from behind stories, the danger in this mindset is that the OP is competing with tons of people who didn't need to reinvent themselves int he last two years of UG. Thus, as insurance, some DO schools need to be on the list, lest someone lose a year of clinician salary.

My school would have swooped up the OP; I can't image why the other schools haven't moved on him/her. Honestly, I've never heard of DO schools practicing resource protection.

While we all love come from behind stories, the danger in this mindset is that the OP is competing with tons of people who didn't need to reinvent themselves int he last two years of UG. Thus, as insurance, some DO schools need to be on the list, lest someone lose a year of clinician salary

According to the acceptance grid OP likely has around a 70% chance of MD acceptance... That's about the same as a candidate with a 3.7/512-513..... I would never advise a 3.7/513 candidate to apply to DO schools the first go around.

OP has a 523+......... I mean.... come on... a 3.3/523+ has zero business attending a DO school. The difference in opportunity is just too big in my opinion. Look at it this way, I am heavily considering a gap year to do research and make connections to better my chances of matching my field of choice. If I were at an MD school I would not need to do this with my current academic/research profile. OP is putting in the effort up front to get into a school that will provide them the best opportunities in the future. Do it now or do it later, sacrificing a year of attending salary might just happen either way. For me the opportunity cost would be worth it.

I'm not sure they do, you would know better than I, it was simply a consideration.

Regardless, I think we are in agreement that the last thing OP needs to do is rapidly apply to numerous DO schools at this point where there is a high likelihood of some crappy, new school trying to snag him and he gets locked into a bad situation that will drastically alter his career. OP needs to wait this one out. I think we also agree that this next cycle OP needs to apply very broadly to MD schools and also about 10 DO schools if this cycle doesn't work out.

According to the acceptance grid OP likely has around a 70% chance of MD acceptance... That's about the same as a candidate with a 3.7/512-513..... I would never advise a 3.7/513 candidate to apply to DO schools the first go around.

OP has a 523+......... I mean.... come on... a 3.3/523+ has zero business attending a DO school. The difference in opportunity is just too big in my opinion. Look at it this way, I am heavily considering a gap year to do research and make connections to better my chances of matching my field of choice. If I were at an MD school I would not need to do this with my current academic/research profile. OP is putting in the effort up front to get into a school that will provide them the best opportunities in the future. Do it now or do it later, sacrificing a year of attending salary might just happen either way. For me the opportunity cost would be worth it.

I'm not sure they do, you would know better than I, it was simply a consideration.

Regardless, I think we are in agreement that the last thing OP needs to do is rapidly apply to numerous DO schools at this point where there is a high likelihood of some crappy, new school trying to snag him and he gets locked into a bad situation that will drastically alter his career. OP needs to wait this one out. I think we also agree that this next cycle OP needs to apply very broadly to MD schools and also about 10 DO schools if this cycle doesn't work out.

That's a 30% chance (1/3) that means the OP won't get into an MD school, and therefore would have wasted a year in applying.

What you do after you get into med school is on you.

All I'm saying is that it's prudent for candidates like the OP to have some DO schools on the app list in the first cycle. Anyone else with a straight 3.7/523 of course doesn't need to try for DO on cycle 1.

While a number of schools are indeed stats ******, having a 523 MCAT doesn't make one God's gift to Medicine. Do not get transfixed by a single stellar metric.

All I'm saying is that it's prudent for candidates like the OP to have some DO schools on the app list in the first cycle. Anyone else with a straight 3.7/523 of course doesn't need to try for DO on cycle 1.

While a number of schools are indeed stats ******, having a 523 MCAT doesn't make one God's gift to Medicine. Do not get transfixed by a single stellar metric.

I think you are kinda missing my point. I don't think anyone with a 523 is God's gift to medicine, however I do know that there were 21 people who matriculated to DO schools last year with above a 519. Meaning that the number of people matriculating with a 523+ is likely countable on one hand. My point is that OP isn't some applicant with a 3.0 or lower, i.e a trainwreck of a GPA. They have a 3.3 with a strong upward trend and an MCAT that is better than the median at every medical school in this country. The opportunity difference between an MD and a DO, especially now with the merger and rapid expansion of DO schools, is significant enough that one lost year is simply worth the cost. That's my point. I think someone owes it to themselves to do everything they can to give themselves the chance at the best opportunities available, and with numbers like these that would mean to not apply DO the first cycle.

It's a bit of a moot point because this is OPs first cycle anyway. Next cycle they absolutely need to include DO schools, but I would still be picky and apply to only the state schools and most established/proven ones.

Reactions: 4 users
Do an smp if you have to. Whatever it takes. Don’t attend a DO school with an MCAT that high. FFS, there’s some MD schools that should be out of the question with that score.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with AnatomyGrey, you could be getting screened out of DO schools that don't take your app seriously due to how ridiculously high your MCAT was.

I'd do an SMP. Look into the ones with guaranteed conditional acceptance or at least very solid linkages. You need to show you can handle med school like courses. Work hard, do well and that plus your MCAT could open seriously top level MD programs up for you. Good luck!

If you were to matriculate into DO school with your 525 MCAT, you'd probably be in the running for having the highest MCAT score of any DO matriculant since the release of the new MCAT format.