Too late to apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airplanes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted my AMCAS back in July and have been filling in secondaries for MD schools since I was verified about a month ago...I feel like an idiot but I think I may have overlooked going DO in the process. I am very interested in primary care and at this point, would probably consider it a toss-up between going MD or DO. My question is...is it too late to start filling out the AACOMAS? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I submitted my AMCAS back in July and have been filling in secondaries for MD schools since I was verified about a month ago...I feel like an idiot but I think I may have overlooked going DO in the process. I am very interested in primary care and at this point, would probably consider it a toss-up between going MD or DO. My question is...is it too late to start filling out the AACOMAS? Thanks

Your app looks good, so I'd say that it's not too late. Do these in order:

1) Register with AACOMAS and get the transcript mailing address
2) Submit transcript requests to all of your schools
3) Fill out AACOMAS and submit (either with just one school, for the time being, or take a day, research, and include all schools you're interested in)
4) While being verified (6 weeks), research schools, write all your secondary essays, and try to shadow a DO and get a LOR, if possible (several schools will require this, but most just highly recommend it). If you don't have an MD letter, you should try to have one, especially if you can't get a DO one
5) When secondaries come in, you should be able to turn them around immediately

Good luck!

I did my AACOMAS in early Feburary and still got in. (My AMCAS was done back in September...long story ha!, best friend talked me into applying DO, only applied to one school though :D ) Glad I did, had choices in summertime. Go ahead and apply now, still plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I didn't submit applications to DO schools til oct and wasn't complete until Jan and still got in.

I say just D.O. it

Last year I didn't submit applications to DO schools til oct and wasn't complete until Jan and still got in.

I say just D.O. it

Did you feel that the timing put you at a disadvantage? (e.g. would have gotten accepted to more DO schools if applied earlier) I'm just wondering b/c I just submitted AACOMAS less than a week ago.

You can go into primary care from either degree so I suggest you have a legitimate answer for why DO because almost every application will ask you why.

I referenced my interest in primary care because I like what I've heard about some of the osteopathic philosophies and techniques to treatment when it comes to primary care, which I think is one of the more unique things about the DO degree.

Thanks for the responses everyone, esp. chocolate bear! Time to research some schools and get the ball rolling!

Did you feel that the timing put you at a disadvantage? (e.g. would have gotten accepted to more DO schools if applied earlier) I'm just wondering b/c I just submitted AACOMAS less than a week ago.
Yes, I suppose it did put me at a disadvantage. If I had completed all my DO apps at the same time I might have interviewed at more DO schools but in the end I got accpected to a school and I'm happy here so it worked out. (Thankfully)

I wasn't complete at my school until very late December. They called me after the first of the year for an interview.