Too late to ask for a 4th LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chagall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied very late, and this letter of rec would come in even later...but I'm wondering if there is any harm in asking for a 4th LOR from someone in a high-ranking position who I'm pretty sure would write me a very good LOR.

Otherwise, my LOR's consist of one good one from medicine, one not-so-sure from neuro (I have no idea what kind of rec this doctor wrote), and another good one from neuro. I'm wondering if maybe the letter I'm not so sure about could be not-so-positive, and I think maybe getting this 4th letter could counter-balance it?!

Or is it just too late? I think I will try it anyway...maybe no pain, no gain. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied very late, and this letter of rec would come in even later...but I'm wondering if there is any harm in asking for a 4th LOR from someone in a high-ranking position who I'm pretty sure would write me a very good LOR.

Otherwise, my LOR's consist of one good one from medicine, one not-so-sure from neuro (I have no idea what kind of rec this doctor wrote), and another good one from neuro. I'm wondering if maybe the letter I'm not so sure about could be not-so-positive, and I think maybe getting this 4th letter could counter-balance it?!

Or is it just too late? I think I will try it anyway...maybe no pain, no gain. What do you think?

Why not ask? If you're pretty sure the letter will be positive, and it's from someone of status, then it could only help.

As one of my faculty members told me when I was wondering who I should ask to write my LORs, "just ask...it's the faculty members' job to say yes or no".

Go for it!