Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalhobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I submitted my primary application on July 13th- I called in and the AMCAS staff said it most likely will be verified mid-September, earliest would be first week of September. I am a reapplicant (~32, ~3.8) and am already pre-writing my secondaries so hopefully when I get them I can submit right away. Are there are any stories of people doing well this late?

Last cycle I sent my secondaries mid-late August- early September and ended up getting 6+ interviews scattered throughout the year.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but do you mind me asking why your application was unsuccessful last year with 6+ secondaries? I don't understand how you can be submitting late when your application last cycle got so much attention.

Hey All,

So I submitted my primary application on July 13th- I called in and the AMCAS staff said it most likely will be verified mid-September, earliest would be first week of September. I am a reapplicant (~32, ~3.8) and am already pre-writing my secondaries so hopefully when I get them I can submit right away. Are there are any stories of people doing well this late?

Last cycle I sent my secondaries mid-late August- early September and ended up getting 6+ interviews scattered throughout the year.

Thanks for the help!

youre not terribly late, the verification thread is up to july 10th last i checked, so you should expect them to get to you soon. there are some people who are submitting their primaries now. they are very late.

and yea if you got 6 interviews but youre a reapplicant... sounds like theres a big flaw somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there are any stories of people doing well this late?
Average-ish applicants becoming Complete in mid-to late-September may well get an acceptance. Often this occurs at forgiving state schools and less-selective schools than one's stats would suggest should be likely.

Six interviews should have translated into 1-2 acceptances. Did you call any of the schools to ask what you could do to improve your application? Do you interview poorly? What is different this year compared to last?

Average-ish applicants becoming Complete in mid-to late-September may well get an acceptance. Often this occurs at forgiving state schools and less-selective schools than one's stats would suggest should be likely.

Six interviews should have translated into 1-2 acceptances. Did you call any of the schools to ask what you could do to improve your application? Do you interview poorly? What is different this year compared to last?

Its very hard to tell why I didn't get accepted anywhere and no one really seems to have a straight answer- I called and asked a few different schools and consultants and received the same answer- all my clinical volunteering, research, other EC's, Letters of rec, personal statement looks good. To them, I sounded like a sociable guy, so they didn't think I could have bombed any of the interview. I actually felt that all of my interviews, except for one went well, and two of them were perfect). Only advice I got was to improve what I can - maybe get another letter of rec, rewrite my personal statement if I can. General consensus was that more and more people are applying- I am an asian male from California and probably did not stick out enough- and thus got waitlisted.

I don't understand how you can be submitting late when your application last cycle got so much attention.

I was late this cycle because I spent a lot of time rewriting my personal statement. I completely changed it and I believe I made it much better, at the cost of it being late. I am just hoping that doesn't screw me over.

UPDATE: Application just got verified! Looks like I'll be sending in my secondaries early September!

Last edited: