Too little for an update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffein3

Projection Room above the Auditorium
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Since my application I have put in about 25 more hours of shadowing, I have been elected the head captain of the sports team I am on, I have been elected to a new governing council (a pretty decent time commitment), I have been selected to be a peer mentor for underclassmen, and I have finished my honors thesis.

Would this be worthy of an update whether it be pre-II or post-II? I know it seems kind of inconsequential but all of those activities (on top of my old ones) have been what I have been spending the majority of my time doing this year.

Let me know! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think that any of these would make an impact on your admissions? ie. Ask the question, "If I wasn't getting an interview before, will knowing this possibly make them offer me one?" If the answer is 'Yes', update, if the answer is 'No', be patient.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you really think that the Dean of Admissions is going to run out of his /her office, screaming "@gonnif!! We have to invite this kid!! he has 25 more hours of shadowing!!

??????

Hi all, just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Since my application I have put in about 25 more hours of shadowing, I have been elected the head captain of the sports team I am on, I have been elected to a new governing council (a pretty decent time commitment), I have been selected to be a peer mentor for underclassmen, and I have finished my honors thesis.

Would this be worthy of an update whether it be pre-II or post-II? I know it seems kind of inconsequential but all of those activities (on top of my old ones) have been what I have been spending the majority of my time doing this year.

Let me know! Thanks.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ROFL - thanks - what a great thing to read after an exam.

Do you really think that the Dean of Admissions is going to run out of his /her office, screaming "@gonnif!! We have to invite this kid!! he has 25 more hours of shadowing!!

??????

If you had 0 hours of shadowing before, it might be worth it. Otherwise, no.

Reactions: 1 user
Cool that's what I thought. Just double checking :) thanks all!

All jokes aside, what about a publication since submitting a secondary? Does the same impact-based model apply to that or no?

If you have no meaningful evidence of research productivity and it's a minor pub (2nd or lower author), send an update.

If it's 1st author and you don't have any 1st author papers, send an update.

If it's 1st author and in a high-impact journal, send an update, period, regardless of how many papers you have.