Too little, too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutumnChild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I didn't realize that it would make such a big difference having finished grad school vs. being in it. I applied while in graduate school and though received a couple interviews, they were both late in the cycle and I ended up getting waitlisted and ultimately not accepted. Having graduated, I decided to try again, but I only applied to schools that showed interested in me in the past. I'm beginning to feel like I should have applied to more since I have all my grades and recs and experiences finalized. The issues is, my MCAT isn't that great and I feel like it's way too late in the game to choose more MD schools. What are some of your opinions? Is it too late?

Thinking of adding following schools: (let me know if any emphasize time of app and/or IS heavily)
- University of Maryland
- Wayne State
- NYMC
- University of Cinn.
- Jefferson
- UPenn
- University of Iowa
- Oakland University

Edit: detailed stats and info taken out. thanks for those who have responded :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your post isnt very helpful without listing which schools you've already applied to

You have a good chance at DO schools, though it's probably late to start this cycle. Maybe you should wait till next summer and apply broadly both MD and DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to be in good shape with 5 interviews. If you are hoping for a few more MD schools though maybe consider adding Creighton and Rosalind Franklin. I have had some luck with those schools this year. The new MD schools Oakland and Virginia tech might really like your master's experience too.

I don't think it's too late to add more schools though. It's pretty early in the cycle still, but you seem to be in good shape (unless you really hope to not go DO -- but assuming by how many DO vs MD schools you applied to, I would assume you would be happy DO and I know CCOM, DMU and KCUMB are good.)

Good luck

You seem to be in good shape with 5 interviews. If you are hoping for a few more MD schools though maybe consider adding Creighton and Rosalind Franklin. I have had some luck with those schools this year. The new MD schools Oakland and Virginia tech might really like your master's experience too.

I don't think it's too late to add more schools though. It's pretty early in the cycle still, but you seem to be in good shape (unless you really hope to not go DO -- but assuming by how many DO vs MD schools you applied to, I would assume you would be happy DO and I know CCOM, DMU and KCUMB are good.)

Good luck

Thanks Avoidthetiger! You would be correct in saying I'll be happy at a DO school, though I just feel like I under-applied to MD schools and may have a shot at more than I thought (which is making me mad at myself, lol). Do you know how many people have applied to Oakland so far and how many ppl they plan on interviewing? I think I may add them to my AMCAS.

Thanks Avoidthetiger! You would be correct in saying I'll be happy at a DO school, though I just feel like I under-applied to MD schools and may have a shot at more than I thought (which is making me mad at myself, lol). Do you know how many people have applied to Oakland so far and how many ppl they plan on interviewing? I think I may add them to my AMCAS.
No idea how many people have applied or how many they plan on interviewing. I seem to be the first person on SDN to get an invite to interview at Oakland and I was complete the 18th -- which isn't that far from today... so you still have time to be considered for an interview.

Wayne State is heavily in-state. It thinks of itself as the counterbalance to UMich, which is apparently like only 30% in-state. They are also very primary care oriented, so I'd be careful if you don't have any primary care ECs. I'm a global health/administration/research person and they axed me pre-secondary, probably because I'm everything but primary care.

That's my $0.02! Find out where your ECs align with the school's mission and you'll do well :)

As long as the official deadline hasn't passed yet and your stats are a good fit for the school, then you might as well try. A year of your life that you'll have wasted because you did not get into a medical school is worth way more than the few hundred of dollars you'll spend applying to those additional schools.