Too tall for surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markobenin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am 6'6 and am wondering if I would be too tall to be a surgeon. I would like to avoid any back problems from being hunched over as a result of my height if I do surgery one day. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my favorite attendings when I was a resident is 6'6. I operated on two steps and never fell off. It's possible.

Can't the OR table height be adjusted anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
It can but doesn't it have to be at a height suitable for everyone? I don't know how many others in the OR would be 6'4+ lol...

ys-3-operating-table.jpg

This adjust from 2-5 feetish and I am sure there are taller ones.

A surgeon I work with, who happened to do my appendectomy is 6'8". on a side note, being left handed, I've always wondered if that could cause some issues during training and residency?

Please give me your phone number so that I can interview you by phone to determine your eligibility.

A surgeon I work with, who happened to do my appendectomy is 6'8". on a side note, being left handed, I've always wondered if that could cause some issues during training and residency?

Lol I hope not, I'm 6'6 AND left handed!

Dude, I'm 6'8"!!! Fortunately I don't want to be a surgeon so I've never actually thought about that. I wonder if it will make an difference in the ER... lol

Hey guys,

I am 6'6 and am wondering if I would be too tall to be a surgeon. I would like to avoid any back problems from being hunched over as a result of my height if I do surgery one day. Thanks for the input.
The operating table is at the height of whom ever is the primary surgeon working the case. This means that once you are fully licensed it won't be a big deal, but you will be hunched over during your training.

Neither being tall or left handed will prevent you from being a surgeon. BUT:

1. During your training, the table will be set for the attendings, not you. Some attending may be accomodating and raise the table, but dont expect it.

2. Being left handed means you're going uphill a lot of the time. A lot of surgical equiment and technique are designed for R handed surgeons. Lap surgery is set up so that the majority of manipulations occur w/ the R hand's instrument. Nurses usually load needles for R handed surgeons so you have to constantly remind them that you're left handed and to load it for you. Overall, it can be done but it's just one extra degree of difficulty

1. During your training, the table will be set for the attendings, not you. Some attending may be accomodating and raise the table, but dont expect it.

Umm....what about being too short?? :confused: I'm a measly 5'2"...if I stand completely straight...

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm....what about being too short?? :confused: I'm a measly 5'2"...if I stand completely straight...
I wouldn't worry about it. One of the attendings where I volunteer is a Little Person. Just use a stepstool.

You'll just use a lot of steps. You wont be the first and you wont be the last

Depending on the type of surgery or surgeon you want to be, you can always sit down. And as for left handedness, the surgeon I shadowed was left handed, and he seemed to do just fine, and he was quick too.

you are too short to be a power forward and too tall for submarine duty.
you probably have no choice but to be a surgeon or feed giraffes.

Hahaha I hate you all. It's not my fault my height and good looks may get in the way of my dream!

The neck and back pain is a legit problem for some people. You do see surgeons, particulary older ones with stooped over shoulder a lot. I know a surgeon that even retired early from it because his back was bothering him so much and he just couldn't take it. That being said, it isn't always because of height. As noted, the tables are adjustable. Some of it takes good habits, stretching and all sorts of other things. Also, many people regardless of profession suffer through back and neck pain. When you enjoy what you are doing, you tends to be easier to ignore the pain.

You aren't too tall, but you'll just have to gauge whether you can go through all those years of being stuck with a lower table. Also, some people may use loupes to see better when the table is lower. I'm not a surgeon, so I can't actually testify if that is a common technique.

In addition to stooping over during your training (because it will be set for the attending) you will have to really watch your head. A friend of mine's head kept hitting the lights because he was so tall.

You're complaining about being able to dunk? Seriously? You're living the dream.

Tall people can go into surgery (a lot of surgeons are pretty tall anyways and my mentor is extremely tall). Look on the bright side, maybe if you are tall enough you can sit during surgeries so that you are at the right level.