Took care of almost all prereq..should I wait til next summer for MCAT prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started school in spring-pretty sure there are others who started in spring as well-so I am in kinda confused in what to do. I completed three semesters.

I have taken care of almost all prereqs with AP:
Gen Chemistry(AP credit)
Gen Bio 1 and 2(AP credit)
Physics 1(Ap credit)
English(A and A- for my 1st and 2nd semester)
Most of fine arts/social science these and those bits with AP credits. Just need 6 more credits.
Calc 1 and Cal 2: AP credit
Ochem 1(B-) and Ochem 2(A)/lab(A)
Cell Bio(C-): I hated this class so much
Calc 3 and DEQ: both A.
Spanish Literautre: B+
Spanish Adv Grammar: A-

Current GPA: 3.429(one C- screwed up everything)

I have yet to take Physics 2, Biochemistry, sociology/psychology(I get psychology but do I REALLY need to take sociology?), and some upper level bio classes.

I am going to take Material engineering, Flow operation, heat transfer and two spanish minor course for this fall. Probably I will take aformentioned courses that I haven't finished in next spring semester.

Should I take MCAT as soon as I finish the spring semester?

Also, is it wise to study MCAT during school so that I can take the exam during summer?

Members don't see this ad.

You should try to at least have E&M and biochem under your belt before taking the MCAT. You should also be comfortable with reading and analyzing raw research data, which can be acquired from reading papers and/or upper-level bio classes in which you read and discuss papers.

You should take the MCAT when you feel most prepared for it. You should never take it for practice or with the mindset of re-taking it. You want to take it once and do well on it.

Whether you should study during the year depends on your schedule and how you handle time management. It is very difficult but not impossible. If possible, you should study in the summer and take the exam near the end of the summer. That will give you focused time to really study and devote your time to it. Otherwise, you'll have to ease up on ECs, etc. to get the necessary studying done during the school year. It also depends on how solid you are already with the material and analytical reasoning abilities, of course.