This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y0y123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the MCAT 3x.... waiting on my 3rd score.

First MCAT taken in Jan 15... rushed through it cuz I didnt want to take the new one -_- 23
Second 127/121/127/127
Third: waiting on the score

cGPA: 3.54 sGPA: 3.33

otherwise super strong applicant in terms of experiences... including over 1500 clinical hours

Please share your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that it's done, all you can do is incorporate the likely effects into your strategy.
Devising such a strategy is complicated by the fact that everyone has a different opinion on how to interpret multiple scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a 3x taker, with an unwise rationale for being one, and the below avg stats reduces your odds considerably. You'd end up being wait listed at my school. Chances will be best at your state MD school, especially if you live in a lucky state. Also best with the newest DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
While taking the MCAT 3x is not exactly ideal or recommended, people can and have still managed to be successful in matriculating to MD & DO schools (which can be attributed to many factors: high GPA, outstanding ECs, URM, etc). Personally, I know a couple myself. However what's important is that you will have made significant improvements on your 3rd try. A poor showing for a 3rd time will complicate things and really decrease your odds. Your GPAs doesn't really help your cause either. Hopefully you improved CARS b/c 121 is very low for MD & DO and would possibly even get you screened out at a lot of schools. Here's hoping third time's the charm. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so much for your feedback!!

I know my science gpa is a negative factor to my application... but my overall gpa has showed a great upward trend with me landing deans list during the last year of my school while taking upper level science courses... applying to both md and do schools...

I am a NY state resident.. any chances to a NYS public medical school?

I have no idea how the new scoring system works but with the 23 and your reported GPAs, chances are pretty slim for MD schools (statewide or OOS). However, if your new score is equivalent to the old 30 or above, I'd say you have a decent chance at getting into some DO schools (assuming everything else about your application is exemplary).

I am actually in a very similar situation myself (4 MCATs) and have applied to NYIT and TouroNY (regardless of all the drama going on there) so far. :cat:

Ouch your second MCAT would have been fine if you didn't get killed by CARS =(

Reactions: 1 user