Took old MCAT, have to retake 2015 MCAT- study material/practice tests/questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiKing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I took the MCAT for the first time in January 2015 and didn't do as well as I wanted. Now I am planning to take the new MCAT in May. Did decently in physical and biological sections but completely bombed the verbal. My questions (which I believe MANY retakers have):

1) Any advice on strategy to improve my verbal score by May?

2) What are the best resources to use for the 2015 MCAT (can't use any old material because I've exhausted ALL of the old material prep and I don't want to enroll in a prep class)

3) Any other advice on retaking the MCAT? Anyone else in the same position that wants to offer advice or simply let me know I'm not alone? LOL

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude I am in exactly the same situation as you (11/6/10) on the January test! Dont worry you are not alone!!!!!

Right now I just bought EK psychology and sociology on Amazon and I think I am going to stick with my old TBR stuff for chem and physics. As for biology I was wondering if I could just use my old EK biology book and buy the Kaplan Biochem book, not sure if this would be efficient or if biology itself has really changed enough to buy new books altogether.

Most importantly for you and I though, what are you planning to do to prepare for CARS?

Dude I am in exactly the same situation as you (11/6/10) on the January test! Dont worry you are not alone!!!!!

Right now I just bought EK psychology and sociology on Amazon and I think I am going to stick with my old TBR stuff for chem and physics. As for biology I was wondering if I could just use my old EK biology book and buy the Kaplan Biochem book, not sure if this would be efficient or if biology itself has really changed enough to buy new books altogether.

Most importantly for you and I though, what are you planning to do to prepare for CARS?

Good to know I'm not the only one- my score looks extremely similar to yours. I would suggest getting a new bio book for content review because they've changed how much in depth they ask certain questions and not others; I have the 2015 EK content review and so I will be using that to study.

Just practice passages I can find- GS, TBR. Don't really know any other reputable sources :/ What about you?

Same here, it is hard to find materials.

Based on amazon reviews I just bought this Amazon product so hopefully it will be some good practice. Also I am just trying to read every day for at least a few hours to improve my speed and comprehension.

How much do you plan on studying before May? I was thinking of either May or June, its difficult deciding how much time to prepare since I already feel good about physics and bio, just need to brush up on psych and socio and majorly improve verbal. Why cant it just be the old test :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops link didn't go through.

Amazon productAmazon product

edit: guess I don't know how to post a link on SDN

Anyways if you look up, "MCAT Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: Strategy and Practice: Timed Practice for the New MCAT Verbal Section" on amazon it seemed to get some praise.

Last edited:
Same here, it is hard to find materials.

Based on amazon reviews I just bought this Amazon product so hopefully it will be some good practice. Also I am just trying to read every day for at least a few hours to improve my speed and comprehension.

How much do you plan on studying before May? I was thinking of either May or June, its difficult deciding how much time to prepare since I already feel good about physics and bio, just need to brush up on psych and socio and majorly improve verbal. Why cant it just be the old test :(

I know if it were the old test then for sure it would not be a problem. Only verbal would need improvement. I think admissions should look at people like us a little more favorably for our choice to retake a completely new exam haha.

I'm planning on buying all of the practice from nextstep straight through their website- its $119 for all of their practice (no content review) plus answers/explanations! I think that will definitely be worth it to go over whilst doing content review. I'm retaking in May so I have 14 weeks left- dedicating 4 weeks to content review and 10 to practice. Suggestions?

I think admissions should look at people like us a little more favorably for our choice to retake a completely new exam haha.
I mostly certainly hope so.

I'm also reusing TPR, EK, Kaplan and supplementing with new TPR and Kaplan materials. I looked at the NextStep books but the reviews seemed fake. Have you gotten them yet?

I'm also reusing TPR, EK, Kaplan and supplementing with new TPR and Kaplan materials. I looked at the NextStep books but the reviews seemed fake. Have you gotten them yet?

Hey I recognize you from the January 10th thread haha.

I just ordered the NextStep CARS I will let you guys know what I think.

Haha awesome. At least we are in the same boat! I hope this upcoming exam is your last ever MCAT you have to take :)

Haven't ordered them yet- don't know much about Nextstep and I want to wait a few weeks before making the $119 purchase to see if anyone else thinks they're useful.

Awesome! Please do. If it seems good, then I would probably buy the whole set for the discounted $119 price straight from their website.

Just curious, how many of y'all scored 2 points or more UNDER your AAMC average? Verbal really screwed me over and I'm trying hard to figure out how to study better for it. Sometimes I get a 10 (I know, not great, but the best I have managed to do) and other times I get as low as a 6. Any helpful techniques I can utilize by my May 22nd test date?

Haven't ordered them yet- don't know much about Nextstep and I want to wait a few weeks before making the $119 purchase to see if anyone else thinks they're useful.

Awesome! Please do. If it seems good, then I would probably buy the whole set for the discounted $119 price straight from their website.

Just curious, how many of y'all scored 2 points or more UNDER your AAMC average? Verbal really screwed me over and I'm trying hard to figure out how to study better for it. Sometimes I get a 10 (I know, not great, but the best I have managed to do) and other times I get as low as a 6. Any helpful techniques I can utilize by my May 22nd test date?

Yes, my verbal was 2 points below AAMC practice and 3 points below Kaplan average.
I'm just as lost as you.... Best of luck!!

Your verbal is very low compared to your other sections. How were your verbal averages on AAMC tests and what day did you take the test. I ask because i got a horrific verbal score and there may be something fishy going on with the verbal scoring on the january 8 test. I averaged 8-10 on AAMC and I ended up getting a 2. Score report ended up being 13/2/10.

Will do as soon as I look through it and take some practice tests. I scored about 3 points below my verbal average and about 4 below my AAMC average. Don't know what happened on verbal but I think I just got freaked out and started overanalyzing everything and ended up being wayyy short on time (had to guess on 5 questions of the last passage). I think the key is just to keep working at reading speed and comprehension which only really comes from reading a lot, who knows. For some reason I stared doing progressively worse on the VR AAMC practice tests about two weeks before my exam, so I probably should have known I was ****ed.

Your verbal is very low compared to your other sections. How were your verbal averages on AAMC tests and what day did you take the test. I ask because i got a horrific verbal score and there may be something fishy going on with the verbal scoring on the january 8 test. I averaged 8-10 on AAMC and I ended up getting a 2. Score report ended up being 13/2/10.

Damn I am sorry man. Highly doubt there was a scoring error but if you are really concerned than for $40 or $50 you can have them re-score your exam. Did you run out of time on multiple passages?

Although the more that I think about it a 2 in verbal is pretty ridiculous. I probably would invest in a re-score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Although the more that I think about it a 2 in verbal is pretty ridiculous. I probably would invest in a re-score.
I finished my last question at the end of the section so I didnt run out of time. I already sent in a rescore so Im waiting for that to come back. I just wanted to see how you felt because there have been quite a few others ive seen average around 10 on VR and drop 5 points which seems abnormal.

I finished my last question at the end of the section so I didnt run out of time. I already sent in a rescore so Im waiting for that to come back. I just wanted to see how you felt because there have been quite a few others ive seen average around 10 on VR and drop 5 points which seems abnormal.

Yeah that sounds like some bull**** on their part, I mean really if you answered all of the questions I dont see how thats even possible to get a 2 (seems like guessing would be more effective at that point). I did drop about 3 or 4 points below my average but I did guess on 5 questions so I think my 6 VR was probably warranted.

If it turns out to be a computer error and the answers did not transmit, do you think they would just void your score since they have no way of knowing how you actually did?

Can you update us when they get back to you? Hope it all works out for you!!!

Yeah that sounds like some bull**** on their part, I mean really if you answered all of the questions I dont see how thats even possible to get a 2 (seems like guessing would be more effective at that point). I did drop about 3 or 4 points below my average but I did guess on 5 questions so I think my 6 VR was probably warranted.

If it turns out to be a computer error and the answers did not transmit, do you think they would just void your score since they have no way of knowing how you actually did?

Can you update us when they get back to you? Hope it all works out for you!!!
Thanks I hope it works out to. If it ends up being a computer error I think they do void it and end up giving you a free retake. The thing is the retake would be the newest test and I would have to sit and learn 3 new subjects. Im hoping this ends up working out. Ill update my thread when I get the rescore back.

I'm joinging the club too guys. Scored a 10/7/10. It really bugs me to need to take an entirely new exam because of the verbal especially since I'm quasi-content with my sci scores. Debating as to when I want to take it. Taking in May means I can apply this cycle but God knows how much studying I'll get done during the semester as a bio major who has crew practice 25+ hours a week... I may just take it at the end of summer so I can study more and apply next cycle

I'm joinging the club too guys. Scored a 10/7/10. It really bugs me to need to take an entirely new exam because of the verbal especially since I'm quasi-content with my sci scores. Debating as to when I want to take it. Taking in May means I can apply this cycle but God knows how much studying I'll get done during the semester as a bio major who has crew practice 25+ hours a week... I may just take it at the end of summer so I can study more and apply next cycle

I feel your pain haha!!! I am thinking of taking it in June and lightly studying until class ends in May and going full board for 5 weeks with no distractions. How did you feel about the verbal and what were you averaging on the practice tests if you don't mind me asking?

I feel your pain haha!!! I am thinking of taking it in June and lightly studying until class ends in May and going full board for 5 weeks with no distractions. How did you feel about the verbal and what were you averaging on the practice tests if you don't mind me asking?
I only ended up taking 2 full lengths because of time constraints (the pitfalls of rowing strike again) and got 2 9's. Verbal has always been hard for me though. Even since like 3rd grade and those state mandated standardized tests through the SAT.

I did work through the Kaplan VR book which includes 6 full length sections and did really well by the end. But they're really detail oriented questions I think which helped hide my deeper meaning weaknesses

Also our finals weeks surround may 22 which is steering me away from that day

You ever get that CARS book from Nextstep? I just got the Princeton Review practice MCATs for 2015. 4 online tests and a review book for each subject for about $70! Although the online CBT doesn't support Apple computers -____- probably will have to dual boot my laptop to get Windows.

I'm wondering about NS Cars book as well. Can someone update their thoughts (if they have this) as to how it compares to actual AAMC VR passages?

Joining the verbal pity party! Took my exam on January 10, and prior to I was scoring 9-10 consistently on EK 101 and on the AAMC exams. Somehow I went from extreme confidence in verbal when I first started studying to complete bewilderment right before taking it. Got a 7 on the real one :eek:

I'm going to be using my old Biochem book and notes 1) to save money and 2) because my professor was wonderful and I was meticulous about keeping every single piece of paper from that class for this very reason.
I concur with the Social Psych class, but I'd like any input about biology classes (micro, genetics, cell bio, etc.) I don't know that it would be wise to retake classes like Gen. Chem or even OChem for the replaced grade since they are in such a low percentage for the new MCAT. Thoughts?

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

The NS Verbal book looks really good (the few passages I did seemed to remind me of the actual verbal, but considering I only completed a few I cant judge the whole book). In any case, I think its really good practice and the format/length of the passages are similar to AAMC. I would say its worth picking up, it really can't hurt. Also they seem to have some interesting strategies which could be useful. Hope that helps.

Joining the verbal pity party! Took my exam on January 10, and prior to I was scoring 9-10 consistently on EK 101 and on the AAMC exams. Somehow I went from extreme confidence in verbal when I first started studying to complete bewilderment right before taking it. Got a 7 on the real one :eek:

I'm going to be using my old Biochem book and notes 1) to save money and 2) because my professor was wonderful and I was meticulous about keeping every single piece of paper from that class for this very reason.
I concur with the Social Psych class, but I'd like any input about biology classes (micro, genetics, cell bio, etc.) I don't know that it would be wise to retake classes like Gen. Chem or even OChem for the replaced grade since they are in such a low percentage for the new MCAT. Thoughts?

Hey I also remember you from the January 10th thread!!! Welcome to the Center For Kids Who Cant Read Good And Want to Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

The NS Verbal book looks really good (the few passages I did seemed to remind me of the actual verbal, but considering I only completed a few I cant judge the whole book). In any case, I think its really good practice and the format/length of the passages are similar to AAMC. I would say its worth picking up, it really can't hurt. Also they seem to have some interesting strategies which could be useful. Hope that helps.

Thank you for this review. It's hard to find reviews for 2015 material at this time so it helps a lot. Although I am a bit put off by their sales approach I like the organization of their books. It seems well unified and provides a lot of problems relevant to the content. Only time will tell what is actually in the book (how the passages are and how the content is presented). I'm leaning towards Examkrackers 9th Edition or NextStep for when I would start studying (again). Waiting on TBR's release so we'll see.

Also as a general reminder:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/caveat-emptor.1049292/

Hey what are you guys doing for FL practice tests? I know AAMC has one, but besides that does anyone have experience with other practices sources?

I bought the NS CARS book. For some reason I am finding it to be harder than my TPR verbal books. Maybe it's just me? It almost seems like they make the answer stems intentionally vague-ish/confusing.. so that if you were facing two answers that look the same on the real thing, you would be more likely to choose the correct one?

I wouldn't say it completely mimics the real MCAT, but I do like the book. It seems like decent practice. I took the old MCAT in Jan and voided. I'm kind of lost on this journey with all of you.

I bought the NS CARS book. For some reason I am finding it to be harder than my TPR verbal books. Maybe it's just me? It almost seems like they make the answer stems intentionally vague-ish/confusing.. so that if you were facing two answers that look the same on the real thing, you would be more likely to choose the correct one?

I wouldn't say it completely mimics the real MCAT, but I do like the book. It seems like decent practice. I took the old MCAT in Jan and voided. I'm kind of lost on this journey with all of you.

Same exact situation as you! Since you studied for the old mcat, are you mainly focusing this studying around the new content + cars?

Same exact situation as you! Since you studied for the old mcat, are you mainly focusing this studying around the new content + cars?

Thats what I am doing mainly, but also not forgetting about the other sections. I made flashcards for physics/chem and bio/ochem and will probably still go over those just to make sure I remember them. I also have some passages left in my TBR books, so I will probably keep doing those just to keep my brain working and because of the the lack of practice for the 2015. What about you?

I'm kind of treating everything as if I'm going in blind so that I can focus on all the material. I'm still trying to find a study groove for this new test and it seems like finding really good brand new practice materials might be a challenge. We'll see. As far as the new stuff, I'm currently taking biochem so that helps a bit. I'm about 6 years removed from psych/soc so I am basically relearning all that.

Thats what I am doing mainly, but also not forgetting about the other sections. I made flashcards for physics/chem and bio/ochem and will probably still go over those just to make sure I remember them. I also have some passages left in my TBR books, so I will probably keep doing those just to keep my brain working and because of the the lack of practice for the 2015. What about you?

Nice. That sounds like a good plan. For me, I am doing a 10 week studying plan that focuses on learning Biochemistry, reviewing Pysch/Soc and focusing heavily on understanding Biological concepts. I am doing a brief review of the old MCAT stuff for Phys/Chem/OCHEM and redoing the old AAMC practice passages just to keep those concepts fresh. I am really focusing heavily though on Biology b/c based on everything I read, Biology will be incorporated into just about everything on this exam and therefore a good understanding is essential.

I'm kind of treating everything as if I'm going in blind so that I can focus on all the material. I'm still trying to find a study groove for this new test and it seems like finding really good brand new practice materials might be a challenge. We'll see. As far as the new stuff, I'm currently taking biochem so that helps a bit. I'm about 6 years removed from psych/soc so I am basically relearning all that.
Yeah, same here. My good study groove will start right after Easter and go hard right up until the exam date in June. Studying too long for this test leads to burnout, and I believe was part of my problem the first time around.

Looks like I found a wagon to jump on lol. I got raped by the VR section. So I plan on retaking in June. My main concern is practice materials for VR. I used EK and TPR verbal books. What other verbal books do you guys recommend?

I regret not saving all the PDF files of the AAMC FLs that I purchased. That would've been extra practice materials with legit verbal practices :/

Looks like I found a wagon to jump on lol. I got raped by the VR section. So I plan on retaking in June. My main concern is practice materials for VR. I used EK and TPR verbal books. What other verbal books do you guys recommend?

I regret not saving all the PDF files of the AAMC FLs that I purchased. That would've been extra practice materials with legit verbal practices :/

I am using NS CARS- not bad, but a little overpriced for 3 half length and 3 full length CARS sections

I took the MCAT in January and score a 12 on verbal. The main strategy that I used was looking for the main idea and using that the guide all my answer choices. I've heard that the verbal section on the new MCAT is actually easier than the old one, and plays even more to this strategy. I not exactly sure how reliable my source is, but I would give finding the main idea a try if you want to try the strategy that worked for me!

Hey guys, sorry to revive this old thread but I thought it would be easier than starting a new one. For those of you that find yourselves in this particular situation, how long did you study (or plan on studying) before taking the new Exam? If you have already taken it, what strategy did you use (just supplementing new material and brushing up on the old stuff or what) and did you feel prepared?

Thanks!