Took physics/wcalc but did bad, retake physics/wtrig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingsquirrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just graduated with a B.S. in Biology from UCSD and I currently have a overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 :( and a pre-req GPA of 3.15. I have mostly B's and one or two As in my Pre-req courses. The bad parts is that I have 2 C's and 1 B in the calculus based physics.

I didn't do too well in these physics classes because I took the calculus based physics intended for engineers instead of the Trig/algebra based ones designed for bio majors.

I am now finishing up my pre-reqs in my local CC (I still have Anatomy and physiology to take) and I was wondering if I should retake my physics classes as well.

If I do retake these classes should I take the algebra based one instead because that is what is required? or should I retake the calculus based physics?

Is it true that if I take the algebra based one, that is what will be used to calculate my Pre-Req GPA completely (instead of an avg between my old calc based physics and new algebra based GPA?)

What would happen to my cumulative GPA?

Thanks, I just recently decided to pursue physical therapy post B.S and I'm happy to be part of this community.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have just graduated with a B.S. in Biology from UCSD and I currently have a overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 :( and a pre-req GPA of 3.15. I have mostly B's and one or two As in my Pre-req courses, except for 2 C's and 1 B in my physics classes.

I didn't do too well in these physics classes because I took the calculus based physics intended for engineers instead of the Trig/algebra based ones designed for bio majors.

I am now finishing up my pre-reqs in my local CC (I still have Anatomy and physiology to take) and I was wondering if I should retake my physics classes as well.

If I do retake these classes should I take the algebra based one instead because that is what is required? or should I retake the calculus based physics?

Is it true that if I take the algebra based one, that is what will be used to calculate my Pre-Req GPA completely (instead of an avg between my old calc based physics and new algebra based GPA?)

What would happen to my cumulative GPA?

Thanks, I just recently decided to pursue physical therapy post B.S and I'm happy to be part of this community.

Honestly if you got a B in Physics I wouldn't worry all that much about it. Considering the amount of time and effort it would take to go through it again it might not be worth the effort. Who's to guarantee you'd get an A? My recommendation is to focus on other classes such as Anatomy. At least you know if you study for eight hours for an anatomy class you'll most likely get an A. You'd also be learning stuff you might one day use. I at least couldn't say the same for Physics. I could spend hours studying and still get a B. Those three-hour long exams is one thing I hope I never have to deal with again.

Honestly if you got a B in Physics I wouldn't worry all that much about it. Considering the amount of time and effort it would take to go through it again it might not be worth the effort. Who's to guarantee you'd get an A? My recommendation is to focus on other classes such as Anatomy. At least you know if you study for eight hours for an anatomy class you'll most likely get an A. You'd also be learning stuff you might one day use. I at least couldn't say the same for Physics. I could spend hours studying and still get a B. Those three-hour long exams is one thing I hope I never have to deal with again.

Whoops I meant to say, I got 2 C's and 1 B, in the 2 semesters and 1 quarter I took physics (don't ask, I was a transfer student). I did get the B when I was at UCSD though, the C's I got before I transferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools only require the trig/algebra physics, but you should check with each school you're looking to apply to individually and get their statement in writing via email just to be sure.

I think most schools take the most recent grade, but you might want to check with the programs you are planning on applying to. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about retaking it. I got horrible grades in the regular algebra/trig based physics and I still got in. Grades aren't everything. Just work hard on those remaining pre reqs.

You can also choose to explain any particular part of your application on PTCAS, if you feel like it's lacking. So you can definitely write about your situation so that schools can get a better idea about you.

Agreed with dizzy88. It doesn't matter whether you take algebra-based or calculus-based physics; most PT schools don't seem partial to either. Most pre-health students tend to list towards the algebra-based physics.

Schools tend to look at the higher or most recent grade and will adjust your prereq and overall GPA accordingly (I think). If you're not satisfied with your physics grade, definitely retake it and turn it into a positive point on your personal statement-- state what you learned and what you did to improve your grade or overall learning. :)

Best of luck!