About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took Step 2 Yesterday

Discussion in 'Step II' started by adamant, Jun 30, 2005.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. adamant

adamant Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    That was a wicked hard test!
    I have to say that I was surprised by how difficult Step 2 was in comparison to Step 1. The questions were much longer, more subtle, more ambigious and frustrating than on Step 1. My test was almost entirely (90%) IM, OB-GYN and PEDS. Surgery/trauma was tested very lightly and the Q's were pretty superficial. Psych was only about 10 Q's on the whole exam, I was surprised by this. Epidemiology/Biostats only had about 5 Q's. The first 4 blocks were extremely heavy on OB-GYN/ Gastro and Pneumo. The last 4 blocks were almost all Peds/ Renal / Rhuematology. Cardiology was almost completely absent from my test. I had only 1 Q with an EKG on it. Derm was also lightly tested (Disappointing since that is what I want to go into). I had only a few straight Neuro Q's as well.
    It was frustrating since almost every Q seemed begin with a 65 year old man presents with shortness of breath, or a 16 year old pregnant female presents with abdominal pain. There was also a conspicious absence of photos on my test. I only got about 5-10 Q's with pics in them. Mostly I got long, wordy descriptions, followed by many seemingly irrelevent lab test results. On many Q's I had a hard time getting my hands on what the heck they were getting at.

As far as studying goes, I spent 21 days dedicated to Step 2. I used the usual resources, Secrets, First Aid for Medicine and for Step 2, Blueprints for OB-GYN, BRS Peds, Surgery Recall. In retrospect I should have spent a day or two reviewing BRS Path from second year since I got quite a few Q's asking for the most likely pathological finding. I really liked the BRS PEDS and Blueprints OB-GYN, Surgery Recall was a waste of time.
    I finished Q-Bank with a 79%.
    I'll post my scores when they arrive. Good Luck to everyone!