Took the DAT Today: 25AA/24TS/21PAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SXCoronado

25AA
24TS
21PAT
22BIO
26GC
25OC
27RC
24QR

Materials used:
1. Chad's videos for gen chem, ochem, QR. The math videos didn't really help too much since I knew the majority of the material already, but the chemistry videos are so helpful if you take notes and just review the notes for a few weeks before your DAT.
2. DAT Bootcamp - I highly recommend it. The practice exams are perfect for chem/bio.
3. Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition - I read the first half thoroughly, skimmed the second half. It's available online as a PDF for free. Probably could have studied it more.
4. Kaplan's Blue Book DAT 7th Edition - I took notes and studied all 15 biology chapters. It was a lot of material.
5. DAT Destroyer/Math Destroyer - It helped a lot for the bio section. I did like 100 ochem problems out of the ~200ish while thinking I was going to fail the orgo section. I did the first 4 exams in the Math Destroyer and got around 10-16 wrong out of a batch of 40 each time.
6. Crack DAT PAT: I got the edition with 10 PAT exams. I took 6 of them by the time I tested today, mostly getting 21-23 range.

My experience:
1. Bio was random. Just study all the main areas and go for true understanding mixed with fact memorization.
2. Gchem is basic, but tricky if you don't know all the nuances of why certain things are the way they are (does that make any sense?)
3. Ochem was hard for me, like always, but I did my best and somehow pulled a 25?
4. PAT was not bad at all. Just practice so that you can ultra fast beast mode it.
5. Reading was chill. SnD is clutch.
6. Math was mostly algebra and conversions. Depends if you're fast or not. Speed is everything here. The calculator was my best friend

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Awesome scores my goodness you killed it!! Enjoy the rest of the few days you have till school starts. :p

Do you recommend to memorize all the formulas from DAT math destroyer? This is the part I'm most worried about.

Congrats! Go UT!!! :)
You did all of Destroyer Bio in 2 days?!?! Woah...
Did you think Destroyer OChem was helpful or overkill?

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction, I did all of destroyer bio in 1 day, which was 2 days before my exam. 516 problems. 1 day. :shifty: Ochem was overkill.. for sure. Way harder than what I took this morning.
alright, I'll take your word for it! I will put my faith in Iverson for now. I'm freaking out about biology though lol. I'm taking the DAT in like 10 days though. Any advice on what I should make sure to go over if you don't mind me asking?
I'm pretty sure DNA/RNA, Organelles, and Hormones will be there but others seems like they could be a potential waste of time (plants).
Thanks and Congrats!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and squirrels
I took the DAT today (1st time), and did way better than I was expecting!

Bvb6Ca7CMAAxAkN.jpg

This fall I will be a junior at UT Austin (biology major). My GPA is 3.6 and I do not consider myself super smart - I got my first C+ in Orgo I and barely pulled a B- in orgo II. UT's rigorous science classes have made sure I stay humble ;)

These are the materials I used to prepare for the DAT:
1. Chad's videos for general chemistry, organic chemistry, and math. The math videos didn't really help too much since I knew the majority of the material already, but the chemistry videos are so helpful if you take notes and just review the notes for a few weeks before your DAT.
2. DAT Bootcamp - I highly recommend it. The practice exams are perfect for chem/bio. I memorized every bio question on that site because I was scared.
3. Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition - I read the first half thoroughly, skimmed the second half. It's available online as a PDF for free. Probably could have studied it more.. I was a little lazy there.
4. Kaplan's Blue Book DAT 7th Edition - I took notes and studied all 15 biology chapters. It was a lot of material.
5. DAT Destroyer/Math Destroyer - I did all 516 biology problems in DAT destroyer 2 days before my DAT. It was insane. :bookworm: I tried to remember all my wrong answers. It helped a lot for the bio section. I did like 100 ochem problems out of the ~200ish while inwardly crying that I was going to fail the orgo section of the DAT. I didn't do a single gchem destroyer problem due to time constraints. I did the first 4 exams in the Math Destroyer and got around 10-16 wrong out of a batch of 40 each time.
6. Crack DAT PAT: I got the edition with 10 PAT exams. I took 6 of them by the time I tested today, mostly getting 21-23 range.

My personal experience taking the DAT:
1. Biology was random. Can't escape it. Just study all the main areas and go for true understanding mixed with fact memorization.
2. Gchem is basic, but tricky if you don't know all the nuances of why certain things are the way they are (does that make any sense?)
3. Ochem was hard for me, like always, but I did my best and somehow pulled a 25?
4. PAT was not bad at all. Just practice so that you can ultra fast beast mode it.
5. Reading was somehow relaxing to me.
6. Math was mostly algebra. Depends if you're fast or not to be honest.

Sciences: By the end of the Survey of natural sciences, I was convinced I had gotten straight 16s and would need to retake. I remembered reading on this website that when you encounter this feeling, you must continue on.

PAT: I came into the DAT confident for the PAT, expecting about what I got. There were a few funky TFE/keyholes, but other than that very similar to my experience with CDP. The hole punches were significantly easier than CDP. I felt the most confident about my answers on the PAT, but it turned out to be my lowest score. Go figure!

RC: I came into the reading section without any strategy. I used SnD for all three passages. It was almost relaxing, I had 10+ minutes left at the end to lean back and write some math formulas. The funny part was that the first passage was about freaking Komodo Dragons, which were my absolute favorite animal as a kid. I read books about them religiously. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the title. :shifty:

QR: Funny story, I'm kind of bad at math. I'm partly a bio major because I couldn't stand to take anything past calc II. I do however enjoy algebra and this was clutch to the QR in my opinion. Math destroyer was pretty helpful.

I hope this helps any of you out there who are preparing for your own DAT!
Congratulations! Perfect scores!

Did you encounter anything that wasn't covered in the destroyer?! any weird questions that required formulas that are not covered?!

YES. I forgot to say that. But it's so true.

Tbh destroyer covers more than the DAT, in every aspect. So no :)

Tbh Iverson is an amazing prof. I had Siegel and Anslyn, I think ochem is really a hit or miss. If you freak out about anything, bio is the thing haha. Since you're low on time, I suggest reviewing KBB's or Cliff's bio notes. Plants should be a waste of time when studying for the DAT, but unfortunately I had 1 or 2 questions on them actually. :mad: Had to guess because I generally don't care about that area haha.
How much harder is BC RC to the real DAT RC?

Great scores!!!! Im taking mine in four days!!! What were your bootcamp scores like??

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and squirrels
I took the DAT today (1st time), and did way better than I was expecting!

Bvb6Ca7CMAAxAkN.jpg

This fall I will be a junior at UT Austin (biology major). My GPA is 3.6 and I do not consider myself super smart - I got my first C+ in Orgo I and barely pulled a B- in orgo II. UT's rigorous science classes have made sure I stay humble ;)

These are the materials I used to prepare for the DAT:
1. Chad's videos for general chemistry, organic chemistry, and math. The math videos didn't really help too much since I knew the majority of the material already, but the chemistry videos are so helpful if you take notes and just review the notes for a few weeks before your DAT.
2. DAT Bootcamp - I highly recommend it. The practice exams are perfect for chem/bio. I memorized every bio question on that site because I was scared.
3. Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition - I read the first half thoroughly, skimmed the second half. It's available online as a PDF for free. Probably could have studied it more.. I was a little lazy there.
5. DAT Destroyer/Math Destroyer - I did all 516 biology problems in DAT destroyer 2 days before my DAT. It was insane. :bookworm: I tried to remember all my wrong answers. It helped a lot for the bio section. I did like 100 ochem problems out of the ~200ish while inwardly crying that I was going to fail the orgo section of the DAT. I didn't do a single gchem destroyer problem due to time constraints. I did the first 4 exams in the Math Destroyer and got around 10-16 wrong out of a batch of 40 each time.

My personal experience taking the DAT:
1. Biology was random. Can't escape it. Just study all the main areas and go for true understanding mixed with fact memorization.
5. Reading was somehow relaxing to me.
6. Math was mostly algebra. Depends if you're fast or not to be honest.

Sciences: By the end of the Survey of natural sciences, I was convinced I had gotten straight 16s and would need to retake. I remembered reading on this website that when you encounter this feeling, you must continue on.

PAT: I came into the DAT confident for the PAT, expecting about what I got. There were a few funky TFE/keyholes, but other than that very similar to my experience with CDP. The hole punches were significantly easier than CDP. I felt the most confident about my answers on the PAT, but it turned out to be my lowest score. Go figure!

RC: I came into the reading section without any strategy. I used SnD for all three passages. It was almost relaxing, I had 10+ minutes left at the end to lean back and write some math formulas. The funny part was that the first passage was about freaking Komodo Dragons, which were my absolute favorite animal as a kid. I read books about them religiously. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the title. :shifty:

QR: Funny story, I'm kind of bad at math. I'm partly a bio major because I couldn't stand to take anything past calc II. I do however enjoy algebra and this was clutch to the QR in my opinion. Math destroyer was pretty helpful.

I hope this helps any of you out there who are preparing for your own DAT!

Congratulations on your amazing achievement. I am senior and I'm not planning on applying this cycle so I haven't even started to study for DAT yet.. I did bad in both Organic chemistry classes so I'm very afraid of it already.
How much time do you think one needs for DAT prep if he hasn't done any prep yet?
Also, was this your first DAT test?
Are you willing to sell your DAT prep materials? I can't afford to buy brand new so I want to buy used.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)