Took the MCAT in sep, got 23, retaking on December 6ths. 3.4 gpa, great EC. Would it be too late....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliveinmyguitar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be too late to apply to Caribbean schools like SGU, ROSS, AUC, when I get my MCAT back in January? I initially was planning on applying to DO schools in the US given that I was averaging 28 on the AAMC practice tests and my gpa and ECs are good. But I had a family thing happen which influenced my performance on test day. Right now my plan is to retake the MCAT and hopefully score higher than I did the first time. If I get 28-29, I will wait until the next cycle before I apply to DO schools. However, if I don't improve I would very much not like to waste my time taking a second year off and ideally would just start school whereever they take me in the fall 2015.

My question is, would it be too late to apply to Caribbean schools in January? Im just having trouble finding the info on the schools websites. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be too late to apply to Caribbean schools like SGU, ROSS, AUC, when I get my MCAT back in January? I initially was planning on applying to DO schools in the US given that I was averaging 28 on the AAMC practice tests and my gpa and ECs are good. But I had a family thing happen which influenced my performance on test day. Right now my plan is to retake the MCAT and hopefully score higher than I did the first time. If I get 28-29, I will wait until the next cycle before I apply to DO schools. However, if I don't improve I would very much not like to waste my time taking a second year off and ideally would just start school whereever they take me in the fall 2015.

My question is, would it be too late to apply to Caribbean schools in January? Im just having trouble finding the info on the schools websites. Thanks :)

I applied to SGU in late January and was accepted into the August class that same year, so it can definitely happen. Also, these schools operate on rolling admissions, so if you're too late for August 2015 you should be good to start in January of 2016. That is a good plan to apply to DO schools. I know it hurts to do it, but it's definitely worth it in the long run to delay six months or a year and then go to a US school.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I guess SGU/ROSS/AUC are my back up plans at this point for a case where I dont improve on the MCAT. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I guess SGU/ROSS/AUC are my back up plans at this point for a case where I dont improve on the MCAT. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Been a couple nears now since I applied but I think my MCAT was like a 30 and my gpa a 3.2. Plus the usual shadowing, ECs, work experience, research experience, blah blah.

a 30 on the MCAT is pretty good. Why did you end up going to SGU? Did you find it was worth going there?

a 30 on the MCAT is pretty good. Why did you end up going to SGU? Did you find it was worth going there?

Yep, I'm sort of an example of "do as I say, not as I do", although so far things have worked out very well for me. If you want the long version PM me, but basically I am an older, non-traditional student coming from a difficult undergraduate degree/previous career that started over from scratch in medicine. On top of that, I received terrible advice from my (non-medical) advisor that basically hobbled me when it came time for application cycles for USMD programs, and then I made absolutely terrible decisions when it came time for applications. Finally, when it came down to deciding between Caribbean MD/USDO, I felt constrained because I have interest in pursuing some international relief work in a handful of countries which aren't DO-friendly, so I ultimately chose the Caribbean route. If I knew then what I know now, I'm pretty convinced I could have snuck my way into a USMD, but I felt like I was running out of time and I was impatient, and also the applications landscape has changed significantly since I applied. So I went to SGU.

Despite feeling like I've overcome some pretty significant obstacles thus far, the biggest one (residency) is still ahead of me. So I'm not sure I can adequately answer your second question. I was very well-prepared for the Step 1 exam -- SGU does a fine job of that, and so do Ross and AUA from anecdotal evidence. They'll supply the information and resources if you've got the diligence and willpower to utilize them. I'm studying for Step 2 CS/CK now, and it seems overwhelming but I think that's pretty normal. I feel like I've made good connections with my clinical preceptors thus far, and they've all had positive things to say about the SGU program, so I'm optimistic about that, but that may be more a product of my geographical location. If you are willing to make some sacrifices about where you practice, what programs you're interested in, and what area of medicine you want to practice, SGU can deliver a fantastic education. That's why being informed before you apply is so critical. For certain destinations, a Caribbean MD can be a viable and even enjoyable journey, but for others it can be an arduous or impossible barrier. Have a plan, have a backup plan, and have a backup-backup plan.

As always, if you have specific questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

You won't need 28-29 for DO IMO... 25 should get you into DO as long your ECs are ok and you apply early to schools like WCUCOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA, ACOM, WVSOM, LUCOM, VCOM-CC , VCOM-AU, CUSOM, SOMA and Larkin (scheduled to open in 2016)... If your score improved by 2+ points, avoid caribbean at all cost...

Reactions: 1 user
So you'd say, considering that I put in equal efforts, that I would have better chances at getting a residency coming out of a lower tier DO school than a top tier Caribbean school?

Yep, I'm sort of an example of "do as I say, not as I do", although so far things have worked out very well for me. If you want the long version PM me, but basically I am an older, non-traditional student coming from a difficult undergraduate degree/previous career that started over from scratch in medicine. On top of that, I received terrible advice from my (non-medical) advisor that basically hobbled me when it came time for application cycles for USMD programs, and then I made absolutely terrible decisions when it came time for applications. Finally, when it came down to deciding between Caribbean MD/USDO, I felt constrained because I have interest in pursuing some international relief work in a handful of countries which aren't DO-friendly, so I ultimately chose the Caribbean route. If I knew then what I know now, I'm pretty convinced I could have snuck my way into a USMD, but I felt like I was running out of time and I was impatient, and also the applications landscape has changed significantly since I applied. So I went to SGU.

Despite feeling like I've overcome some pretty significant obstacles thus far, the biggest one (residency) is still ahead of me. So I'm not sure I can adequately answer your second question. I was very well-prepared for the Step 1 exam -- SGU does a fine job of that, and so do Ross and AUA from anecdotal evidence. They'll supply the information and resources if you've got the diligence and willpower to utilize them. I'm studying for Step 2 CS/CK now, and it seems overwhelming but I think that's pretty normal. I feel like I've made good connections with my clinical preceptors thus far, and they've all had positive things to say about the SGU program, so I'm optimistic about that, but that may be more a product of my geographical location. If you are willing to make some sacrifices about where you practice, what programs you're interested in, and what area of medicine you want to practice, SGU can deliver a fantastic education. That's why being informed before you apply is so critical. For certain destinations, a Caribbean MD can be a viable and even enjoyable journey, but for others it can be an arduous or impossible barrier. Have a plan, have a backup plan, and have a backup-backup plan.

Wow thanks for the response I agree with a lot of what you said. All I can say is good luck in your future endeavors. Im gonna re-take this MCAT and hopefully improve my score. If not, I think I'll apply pretty much everymuch everywhere for DO in the states early and if I don't get accepted, Caribbean school will be my only option.

So you'd say, considering that I put in equal efforts, that I would have better chances at getting a residency coming out of a lower tier DO school than a top tier Caribbean school?
US schools (MD/DO) residency placement is in the high 90s% while the big 4 are probably in the 70%, so your chances in getting into a residency as a US student is almost a sure thing as long your don't have a major red flag in your residency application...

I don't say it, the residency placement rates say it. It's verifiably true that graduating from a US school, regardless of MD or DO, will virtually guarantee you a residency if you can pass the Step exams. Not so for Caribbean students, who need to do noticeably better on the Step exams to secure a residency. I'd quibble with W19's number a bit, but I agree with the sentiment. If you have the option to go DO it will undeniably make your residency applications easier, and probably be much much cheaper in the long run.

I don't say it, the residency placement rates say it. It's verifiably true that graduating from a US school, regardless of MD or DO, will virtually guarantee you a residency if you can pass the Step exams. Not so for Caribbean students, who need to do noticeably better on the Step exams to secure a residency. I'd quibble with W19's number a bit, but I agree with the sentiment. If you have the option to go DO it will undeniably make your residency applications easier, and probably be much much cheaper in the long run.
I know for US it's in the high 90%, but for the big 4 it was kind of an estimate based on the last charting outcome... The point is that if you get into a US school, you are more likely to become a physician since attrition rate is less 10% and residency placement is high...

I know for US it's in the high 90%, but for the big 4 it was kind of an estimate based on the last charting outcome... The point is that if you get into a US school, you are more likely to become a physician since attrition rate is less 10% and residency placement is high...

Absolutely, I agree 100% that going to any US school is better for your residency placement. Match rates for Caribbean schools are kind of hard to pin down because students still get residencies outside of the match, and the charting outcomes are based on first-choice residency only, not just any residency. Both of these things somewhat deflate match rates for Caribbean schools but they're still a useful tool.

So, which locations and specialities is SGU have an upper hand?

So, which locations and specialities is SGU have an upper hand?

Compared to what? Compared to a USMD/DO? We don't have any, really. I wouldn't call it an upper hand, even. It's just that our IMG status is more readily overlooked. NYC public hospitals, for example, have a very good relationship with SGU. We do a lot of our clinicals there, and the hospitals get free labor while we get an education. Also, certain less-competitive specialities that often have a lot of unfilled spots, such as FM & psych, are more friendly toward IMG students. There's also a pretty large Caribbean population in NYC, so having gone to school there actually can help relate to your patients a bit better. If you are willing to do a FM residency at a clinic in East Flatbush, your IMG status won't matter a whole lot assuming you did reasonably well on the Step.

Reactions: 1 user