Tooth Decay by bacteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saahakhan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i was just reading in a Oral Pathology Book about Dental Caries that tooth decay occurs as critical pH is achieved i.e acidic pH, isn't it strange as most of bacteria are killed in acidic pH.
can any one have a reason why this occurs :confused:
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Although many bacteria in the world can be inhibited or killed by a low ph, bacteria that can cause cavities not only produce a low ph (lactic acid), but can thrive in it. Thus they are called aciduric and acidogenic.

Basically every type of bacteria in the world has unique nutritional requirements, and the "bad" ones in your mouth happen to make and like to live in an acidic environment. :)

Hope that clarifies things.

grtuck

saahakhan said:
thanks

Cause God wanted it to?

Members don't see this ad :)
saahakhan said:
thanks

So as the soft drink, sports drink, and candy industry makes more money, so do us dentists :D

Actually its all about the Strep Mutans(the decay causing bacteria) being acidophilic.

BTW, I'm almost tempted to hand out my card when I'm at my local coffee shop and hear someone ordering an "extra large, extra, extra, extra light and sweet coffee" :eek: you just know that you'll find atleast a couple of teeth that need some work in that mouth ;)

DrJeff said:
So as the soft drink, sports drink, and candy industry makes more money, so do us dentists :D

Actually its all about the Strep Mutans(the decay causing bacteria) being acidophilic.

BTW, I'm almost tempted to hand out my card when I'm at my local coffee shop and hear someone ordering an "extra large, extra, extra, extra light and sweet coffee" :eek: you just know that you'll find atleast a couple of teeth that need some work in that mouth ;)

That is good, I liked that!!!

My teachers always say, cause god wanted it that way, so that has been my answer for almost anything lately!

saahakhan said:
isn't it strange as most of bacteria are killed in acidic pH.
thanks

Like Dr. Jeff said, it may be strange, except for when you take into account acidophilic bacteria, or bacteria that PRODUCE acid (like the lactic acid produced by lactobacillus). They obviously wouldn't be killed by their own products.

It's these bacteria that really thrive in the low pH environment.

Also think about the bacteria that can be found in your stomach and intestines where the pH is extremely low. Different strains of bacteria have found unique ways to thrive in all kinds of surroundings (heat, pH, salt, etc...).

thanks everybody for a your answers, this really solved my problem.
now its quite clear for me