Top school chances: too generic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsetry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
stats:

rising senior so only 21 years old
top 50 national university, large public one.
41 mcat (P/V/B is 14/13/14)
4.0 GPA
Physics and Chemistry double major
1 year medical research (1 publication 3rd author)
Have been a TA for 4 different classes. About 200 hours total.
Church leader (hundreds of hours here)
200+ hours medical volunteering
40+ hours non medical volunteering
100+ hours shadowing between 2 different doctors
Went on a medical mission trip/fund-raised money for it
Involved with a few different clubs (non leadership)
Have won medals at multiple 5ks in college, run a sub 18:00 5k
Four very good letters of rec I am pretty sure. From professors I have worked with for years.
Very early application. Applied and verified already.

I have only applied to around 15 schools so far, and am considering adding some top 10 schools since I only have 1 so far. However, I feel that the people getting into these top schools not only have the same numbers I do, but are also nontrads who took 4-5 gap years to gain masters/PhD degrees or participate in immense amounts of volunteering or exceptional activities. I am just wondering if a traditional applicant with more or less generic ECs but very good numbers would stand out enough to be considered at schools like these.

Members don't see this ad.

Add some Top 10 schools. Excellent application.

Add some top 10s. Though none of your activities really "stand out" (but what does these days anyway), they are varied, and show commitment; you have good research, clinical, teaching etc. So go ahead, I would apply to as many top 20s as you have money for (along with mid tiers and safeties).