Top Schools?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsavrey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is the first time that I have posted on this thread but I have found reading the forum very helpful so far.

I am a 2005 grad with a BS in Bacteriology. I have been working in the science field for 2 years and have some experience in public health through volunteer and part time work experience. My GPA was 3.1 and I an appointment to take the GREs on Nov. 2nd. My dream would be to get in to NYU or Columbia but I am applying to several other schools. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances would be on getting in?

These are the school to which I am applying for Fall 2008 admission:
NYU
Columbia
Drexel
U of Penn (Philadelphia)
U of Pitt
Temple (Philadelphia)
U of Illinois (Chicago)
U of M (Twin Cities)
George Washington (DC)

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I am also wondering about the NYU MPH program most of all. Their website says that applicants for that program have to have a minimum GPA of 3.2 but as far as I can tell their department is not ranked all that high on the national level. Is there another ranking that I am not aware of? I did not find a minimum GPA that was that high at any other school.

Thanks!

I guess I am also wondering about the NYU MPH program most of all. Their website says that applicants for that program have to have a minimum GPA of 3.2 but as far as I can tell their department is not ranked all that high on the national level. Is there another ranking that I am not aware of? I did not find a minimum GPA that was that high at any other school.

Thanks!

I dont think NYU MPH program can be ranked b/c it's not a public health school, but rather just a pub. health program. i think the U.S. news rankings are exclusive to just schools of pub. health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help. Does anyone know anything about the acceptance rate for NYU?

Thanks!

Exactly what area in public health did you want to focus on? If you are interested in health policy and admin then the MPA at NYU's Wagner school of public service (?) which has the program for health policy and administration is suppose to be the top school for health policy and administration in the U.S.

Hello,

I was thinking of their department of community health. They have an International Health section of the Community Public Health department that looked interesting.

Does anyone have an opinion of the other schools I have listed?

Thanks so much for all the advice!