Topics for Masters/PhD thesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imsonicaal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am wondering whether any topic will be okay for a masters/PhD thesis? Lets say you check out the faculty website, and the supervisors' research interests. However, you have a topic in mind and it does not really fit any of their research interests. What do you do, scout for a congruent advisor-research interest, or make do? I am quite interested in the integration of metaphysical concepts into psychology, like alternative health and parapsychology. Yet I want to go to a mainstream college - not the school of metaphysics. I do have BSc(hons). How do you suggest? I have searched for advisors with research interests somewhat similar to mine, but I haven't found one. Am not sure I would be able to find one, considering most topics are focused on sport, assessments, industrial/org, pain and etc. Thanks if anyone can help.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, dont get marreid to an idea before grad school. Its going to change. In general, your diss in a ph.d program is going to have to follow what your supervisor is comfortable supervising. I think there may be more flexibility with masters level thesis, but it still has to be something they are comfortable with.

I definitely agree-- You should find prospective supervisors whose interests line up with yours. It also helps if you're flexible-- If you go into an application or interview with a very specific plan and don't convey openness, you're unlikely to be accepted to a program.

There are at least a few clinical psych profs at respected and funded institutions doing work you might be interested in. Try searching Google Scholar or PsychInfo for articles and then looking up the authors. There's tons of research on the implications of paranormal beliefs, if that interests you.

As for alternative medicine... John Allen, at University of Arizona, does work on the effectiveness of acupuncture as a treatment for depression. I'm sure there are other people doing similar work. Don't give up-- Keep reading!

Thank you for your suggestions guys. They're very helpful. I agree I have to follow what the supervisor will be interested in. I'm just trying to find a topic I know I can do for 4 years, that can hold my interest.