Torn between 2 schools...how important is cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal: I'm deciding between 2 schools, both equally reputable. I like one a little bit more than the other and it's in a city and region of the country where I'd like to practice. However, according to my calculations, and taking possible tuition increases into account for both schools, there's a price tag difference of about 45000 over the 4 years between the two of them, which, assuming about a 25 percent increase in the loans over the 4 years, will be 57000 by the time I'm done with med school. There's also a (slight) possibility I might still get merit aid at the cheaper one. Should this be a deal breaker for me, despite my liking the other school and region more? I'm going to have to take out massive loans for either one, and it's hard for me to believe that a 50-60000 dollar difference is really going to affect me much in the long run, especially if I end up doing an income-based repayment plan. I have 2 days to decide this. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be happy at the cheaper school? Go there. The ~$50K will make a difference.

When I was in a similar situation, I chose the more expensive school, but in my case I knew I would spend 4 years kicking myself if I didn't go here when I had the chance. That was worth $50,000 in my case.

I'm just not seeing $50,000 worth of difference in your case. It's not that you like school B more... you have to dislike school A more. A lot more.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation, with one schools tuition being 60k per year and the other being 40k per year. IMO the total cost of about 100k over 4 years with the tuition raise. In the end I think if you can do well at the cheaper school you should take that option.