Total money spent on studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT next year. I'm just curious to know how much money did each one of you spent just studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

$30 on AAMC 13. Got all EK, TBR, past written full length AAMCs, etc for $0. It's called the internet people.

$30 on AAMC 13. Got all EK, TBR, past written full length AAMCs, etc for $0. It's called the internet people.
AAMC13, that's the version developed specifically for Princeton Medical College, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
4 bottles of wine. Gave 1 to a girl who donated her TPR set. Gave 1 to babysitter for one of saturady mornings to practice the MCAT CBT, and 2 to my wife for pain and suffering she had to endure.

And 3 months of decreased wages due to going form 50 hrs/wk to 30.

$150 EK Full Set
$100 2 week prep course some that some med students at my university put on (was a sweet deal, included lunch everyday and AAMC 11)
$35 x 4 = $140 for AAMC 4, 5, 9, 10
Chem 2 review with organic prof: free
Kaplan tests from a friend with a knack for torrents: free

Took the course in May. Took June off for some personal stuff (moving and whatnot). Back on studying in July for Aug 3 test.

total: $390
score: 29P

TPRH Science Workbook: $120
TBR Physics, Gen Chem: $130
TPR O-Chem, Bio: $45
EK 101 VR: $25
Kaplan & AAMC Practice Exams: $Free
Lost time & income: ~3 months

Wow, that's painful to look at.

$240 - TBR books + shipping (at least I think this was the cost, it may have been lower)
$245 - AAMC 4-11 PTs
$104 - AAMC self-assessment package
$35 - Official Guide
$100 - EK1001 series (give or take $10)
$150 - TPRH VW, SW, CC, and that little concept review booklet
$245 - MCAT
$70 - Rescheduling fee
$0 - Bunch of stuff I got from friends who had taken the test previously
------------------------------------
Total - $1,189

I'm hoping to recoup about 1/3 to 1/2 of that once I sell my books. Assuming my score is a balanced 36+ it'll all be worth it.:xf:

Amount of money spent on 9/1/12 MCAT is the only thing I am happy about. Got my score yesterday and thinking of a retake (not going to say what score, because y'all will be like "no don't retake don't be stupid").

Official MCAT guide = $13.91 (waste of money)
1001 EK gchem & ochem: $35.85 (didn't use the gchem one)
Kapl Premier: $5.42 (did not have time to use)
1001 Phys: $18.51 (did not use)
MSAR Guide: $6.46 (not related to MCAT? but oh well)
Official Self-Assessment Package Bundle: $104 (i thought was super helpful, but found out about it way too late; ordered it 10 days before my exam... stupid, I know; at least it doesn't expire until 2013 sometime, so still can use for retake i guess)

All AAMC & BR (all books minus the FLs) & all other EK stuff (books i used, audios i didn't use) = $0 (95% of my study materials right here)

mcat-review.org = free concise review (I think you all should browse through this before your MCAT, just to be sure) some other websites may be helpful too.

Registration = $240

Total of $424.15 SPENT

Minus... (~$11/hr )(40 hrs/week)(13-15 weeks of lab work I would have killed myself with instead).... heh you do the math here.

I'm super glad I didn't take a $3000 course for it. I don't think it would have helped me get a better score, but I think it was sort of difficult to get myself to take more FLs in one breath. I just wasn't convinced that I needed to take them in that way until like my last couple of AAMC FLs... that was my one major mistake. I realized 3 weeks before the exam that all 37+ people were crazy enough to take 10+ FLs (AAMC and other non-official ones) under "real" conditions. Overall, I am not super disappointed with my score in light of how the progression of my studying/realizations of my flaws fell into place. This beast of an exam just makes you realize weird useful things and I wasn't lucky enough for these realizations to have occurred sooner. I studied hard, but up until the last 6 weeks or so, I wasn't studying very intelligently.

There is a lot of wisdom on SDN, thank you all for your contributions! Hope I can give back somehow too.

Last edited:
AMCAS $35X5=$175
Berkeley Review Set: $200
EK101 Verbal; EK Biology; EK 1001 Physics, Chem, Organic Chem: $127)
MCAT Registration: $240

Total: $742

... and also minus wages lost.

But happy with my score.

All EK 1001 books =150$
All EK books=150$ (most of theses are useless except bio )
TPRH verbal= 50$ ( got a good deal)
TPRH science workbook 50$ (another good deal)
Just ordered TBR Physics and Chem 150$
AAMC Practice test 4,5,7 =105$

MCAT registration (I have FAP) 85$ last year, 85$ this year, 100$ next year

Somewhere between 900-1000 dollars! way to f'ing much for a test.

*** Years of My 20's I lost studying for this crap, only to be dissapointed~2. We'll see what happens 3/23/2013:xf:

TBR Set about 250
TPRH set (all books in new condition from a student, whatever was included in a 2012 in-class plus in-class notes) 225 (good deal)
EK Books 100 (big mistake, I reviewed them and I think they are terrible.)
Yet to buy AAMC 4-11 PTs ~250
MCAT Reg. 270

About $1100