Tough Mudder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been in Crossfit and doing insanity. I just finished a muddy 5k and loved it. So good number of partners are signing up for the tough mudder. Anyone of you guys complete it?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, many of the obstacles involve electricity and water and intentionally exposing soaking wet and muddy people to varying strengths of electrical shock. Surprised they have not had deaths. Maybe they have. I have never researched it.

I know people who have done it. I think I will pass.

Did one up in the mountains around Lake Tahoe 3 years ago. Anyone in mediocre shape can complete these things easily. The obstacles vary somewhat depending on where in the country it is held. They are fun to go with a group of people but none of these widely advertised "Mud runs" are actually as challenging as they are described.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the website:

Electric Shock Therapy:
Sprint through a field of live wires — some carrying as much as 10,000 volts of electric shock. Watch out for hay bales and deep mud, or you will face-plant into some electrifying mud. Some Mudders℠ try to stealthily wind their way through the wires without getting shocked, while others barrel forward to get through as quickly as possible. Either way, you are guaranteed to get zapped with as much as 10,000 volts of electricity and it does NOT tickle. This is typically the last obstacle Mudders must overcome before they cross the finish line.

That just doesn't seem fun or sensible to me. It is not in line with one of my my core philosophies (avoiding electrical shock at all costs), so I will choose not to do it.

Gern you know as well as I know voltage doesnt mean ish. Its about current and resistance. Maybe we can segway to macroshock vs microshock? For the junior residents?

Gern you know as well as I know voltage doesnt mean ish. Its about current and resistance. Maybe we can segway to macroshock vs microshock? For the junior residents?

This. The taser I was issued was 50,000V at I think .001A

**** hurts (I know), but non-lethal.

Did one up in the mountains around Lake Tahoe 3 years ago. Anyone in mediocre shape can complete these things easily. The obstacles vary somewhat depending on where in the country it is held. They are fun to go with a group of people but none of these widely advertised "Mud runs" are actually as challenging as they are described.

Are you sure you're comparing the same thing? Tough Mudder is a very specific type of "mud run". I've never personally done one, but one of my colleagues has done this a couple of time and he says it was almost more challenging than the marathons he's ran.

I've done a spartan,warior dash and a mudder......they are all comparable

I've done a spartan,warior dash and a mudder......they are all comparable

Yes they are. Tough Mudder gives money to the Wounded Warrior Project but it is a huge income generating business now so they can't make it that challenging.

Running around for 8-9 miles at 7500 ft can be challenging. But it essentially was the elevation that added the "tough". The obstacles themselves are what makes it fun.

So I have been in Crossfit and doing insanity. I just finished a muddy 5k and loved it. So good number of partners are signing up for the tough mudder. Anyone of you guys complete it?

I've done 2. Loved 'em. Probably similar to the long-version Warrior Dashes or Spartan Races; the basic Warrior Dash was a 5K and not nearly as fun.

The first was up on a ski resort in the mountains of Virginia; that was a ball-buster. The second one was in South Carolina, somewhat easier. Neither was as difficult as a marathon as far as endurance goes. But it's nice doing some upper body/core challenges.

Plus the Tough Mudder supports the WWP, so that's a bonus.