Tough Spot: Accepted to MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medsamjolly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to an MPH program at my top choice for MD program. If I knew I would not get into MD, I would not go to MPH. What to do. I applied there bec I thought it would boost my resume and I wasn't sure what else to do...I will definitely reapply there MD. #Idiot.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, I'm not sure what the problem is? Why can't you just do the MPH during your gap year while reapplying to MD as usual?

I can...but not sure that I want too...feel like I can't pull out...

Don't wanna work for a year on a degree that I am not sure about...

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they holding your family hostage if you don't attend?

Just send them a note saying that your plans have changed.

If you want to boost your resume, do some good ECs, especially in service to others less fortunate to yourself.

Why do you feel like you can't pull out?! Trust me, this school will not be in tough spot if you do so, they will just grab someone off the wait list. If your concern is that you think it would hurt you at the MD school, do not worry. The SOPHAS and AMCAS application systems are completely independent of each other. Choosing not to do this program will have no bearing on your MD app at all. This is completely silly, do not spend unnecessary amounts of $$$ on a program you do not even want to do just because you feel like you "can't pull out". That's absurd, dude!

Reactions: 1 user
Take it from me: pulling out is always the smartest option.

Reactions: 4 users
The MPH won't alter your MD chances, but do you have something better to do?
Can you please expand on that? I realize adcoms do not place a huge emphasis on MPH with respect to undergrad, but I always thought that MPH can play some role in their decision process.

Can you please expand on that? I realize adcoms do not place a huge emphasis on MPH with respect to undergrad, but I always thought that MPH can play some role in their decision process.
Master's degrees in general, and MPH's in particular, do not affect our opinion of your academic prowess.

If you are taking gap years anyway, an MPH will give you more to talk about in interviews and since you need to fill time effectively, it also serves this purpose.
This is not to denigrate the importance of what is taught in these programs. I have taught them myself.

Reactions: 1 user