Tough time finding when to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefscribejake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my scenario:

I'm finishing up my second year with all my pre-reqs hit except biochem and both semesters of physics. That's coming next year with some other courses (calc/undergrad research/ecology/spanish 3). My advisor has mentioned that I should hit both semesters and take the MCAT at the end of May. Her idea is based off getting my score and applying soon after I get it.

Is this usual for most students? Do you guys study for the MCAT while currently taking the course? I'm nervous to the outcome of this. Any other tips you guys might suggest for scheduling an appropriate study schedule/test day?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning a similar strategy; study for the MCAT fall 2015->winter 2016 while taking Biochem 1 and 2, take it in ~April to apply in June. I read on the amcas website, however, that taking it in april-may means it takes longer than 30-35 days to get your score back. You will be able to apply as soon as applications open up like everyone else, it claimed, but the site was unclear whether or not you would actually see the score you were applying with when the time came... My guess being you would see it right before application services opening, giving you less time to plan while knowing your score.

To more directly address the heart of your question; I think as long as you have the core of the material down, you should be fine. It sounds like you'll be mid-way / wrapping up the last of your physics and biochem as you study for the MCAT which sounds busy, but doable.

I'm planning a similar strategy; study for the MCAT fall 2015->winter 2016 while taking Biochem 1 and 2, take it in ~April to apply in June. I read on the amcas website, however, that taking it in april-may means it takes longer than 30-35 days to get your score back. You will be able to apply as soon as applications open up like everyone else, it claimed, but the site was unclear whether or not you would actually see the score you were applying with when the time came... My guess being you would see it right before application services opening, giving you less time to plan while knowing your score.

To more directly address the heart of your question; I think as long as you have the core of the material down, you should be fine. It sounds like you'll be mid-way / wrapping up the last of your physics and biochem as you study for the MCAT which sounds busy, but doable.
Quick question out of ignorance, but does the biochem section cover both semesters or just the first?

I am planning to do that. I study 2 hours a day for MCAT while I finish up biochem and physics. This semester sucks but i really can't afford a gap year. If i am not ready in May i will just adjust and take the summer to study.

Quick question out of ignorance, but does the biochem section cover both semesters or just the first?

That could vary between your school and mine slightly. The officially listed biochem subtopics on the MCAT on the amcas website would probably be more helpful and thorough in covering what biochem you'll need to know for the test. I would double check that and compare.