Touro-COM NY Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another day, another silent treatment... sigh... Did anybody try and to contact Obed to find out what is up /.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what's going on as well. I'm not part of the FB group and wondering if the updates were going to continue.

Another day, another silent treatment... sigh... Did anybody try and to contact Obed to find out what is up /.

It was graduation today and tomorrow is the last day of finals. Add in that Obed recently left for a new job and you might expect some delays in finding out about wait list movement. (though I actually do think Obed is still working a few more days. Til June 7th)

Members don't see this ad :)
It was graduation today and tomorrow is the last day of finals. Add in that Obed recently left for a new job and you might expect some delays in finding out about wait list movement. (though I actually do think Obed is still working a few more days. Til June 7th)

Ahh.. That makes more sense. Thanks for the response DocE.. That provides a little bit of relief... for me at least.

you know what will be a let down? we get an email and the WL has only moved like 5 people. I'll go crazy.

you know what will be a let down? we get an email and the WL has only moved like 5 people. I'll go crazy.

Hey, somebody just posted this in facebook:

"I talked to Obie this morning on the phone. Apparently there hasn't been much movement and they've been busy with graduation. There will be another pull soon and we'll be getting an email sometime in the near future! Stay sane and good luck!"

Sounds pretty dire to me. Not trying to be pessimistic but I'm still ranked in the low 40s. :(

Hey, somebody just posted this in facebook:

"I talked to Obie this morning on the phone. Apparently there hasn't been much movement and they've been busy with graduation. There will be another pull soon and we'll be getting an email sometime in the near future! Stay sane and good luck!"

Sounds pretty dire to me. Not trying to be pessimistic but I'm still ranked in the low 40s. :(

Thanks for the update, it really helps. I wonder how long is "soon". I would have to start applying for 2011-2012 admission.

I agree. What is everyone doing while you're waiting. Are you preparing for housing, immunization, books, deposit etc or do you just wait until geting in ...

After work, I watch comedy shows and funny movies. I also read funny quotes to laugh and kill times. I have enough wrinkles and pimples on my face already. Definitely don't wanna get more because of waiting and worrying. :D

For those people who haven't joined the facebook high wait-list group. Obed has just posted an update !

Obie FigueroaMonday is it for me (Touro-11 years). I will never forget ya. I will exist the group on Monday. I will first need to conduct the last review from me and then another e-mail blast. I will include, as usual the new ranking numbers, etc. and any new contact people for you as I exist. I will make sure the passing of the list is clearly understood before I go. I know you like the transparency-as do I.

I'm very proud of you all!! Become THAT doctor. I'll continue to do my part- helping students achieve their professional goals. Take Care, Obed
Remember you contacts:
Mr. Issa Sow-Admissions Assistant 212-851-1199 x2544
Ms. Cherie Hunter-Administrative Assistant x2544

Any questions the above can direct. I'll send out one last e-mail tomorrow so no one is missed. Very Proud of you all!!

thanks for the update! what's gonna happen to the fb group after he leaves?

This is gonna be one longggggg MonDAY...... Is it 5 already? (10x)

movement is only 5 people. boooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
THe email I received this morning didn't show any movement from the last email.

THe email I received this morning didn't show any movement from the last email.

yeah it didnt but he said that he will sned another one with 5 people movement.

I just read it. I just looked at the number the first time.

you jinx it :) I wonder if we're going to receive another email today about our ranking number.

you jinx it :) I wonder if we're going to receive another email today about our ranking number.

Probably tomorrow - maybe its a good sign that we didn't hear back today.

I just received the second email. Looks like we will move another 5 tomorrow and today they just verified who wanted to remain on the wait list.

so I moved up by 11. is that including the 5 people that have to prepare their fafsa? or we will move another 5 later?

so I moved up by 11. is that including the 5 people that have to prepare their fafsa? or we will move another 5 later?

I think he is just saying that number 1-5 should be prepared that they may be accepted anytime instead of it being a guarantee that they are to be pulled into the class.

I hope thats not the case and I am wrong but that is what it sounds like to me. So if I were to be wrong then we would all move by another 5 spots.

I think we will all move up by 5 or more depending on if they accept the offer or not.

What are people doing next? For those of us who are on the waitlist, what are your plans? I just moved to start a one years masters program at another school and already submitted my primary to re-apply. What is everyone else doing (assuming the list doesn't move anymore)?

What are people doing next? For those of us who are on the waitlist, what are your plans? I just moved to start a one years masters program at another school and already submitted my primary to re-apply. What is everyone else doing (assuming the list doesn't move anymore)?

I still can't convince myself to re-apply. I know it's the stupidest thing I could do, but I'm staying positive.

Obed said everyone can contact the dean of students, Dr. Jerry Cammarata if we have any questions. Does anybody know what is the best way to contact him? I tried to email him at [email protected], but I haven't got any reply yet. I understand he's very busy, but I have a very URGENT question.

Obed said everyone can contact the dean of students, Dr. Jerry Cammarata if we have any questions. Does anybody know what is the best way to contact him? I tried to email him at [email protected], but I haven't got any reply yet. I understand he's very busy, but I have a very URGENT question.

I contacted him via e-mail a few weeks ago to ask a few questions regarding me being an international student and whatnot. He got back to me within 24 hrs if I remembered correctly so just wait til tomorrow at least

I contacted him via e-mail a few weeks ago to ask a few questions regarding me being an international student and whatnot. He got back to me within 24 hrs if I remembered correctly so just wait til tomorrow at least

Thanks so much for your reply :D

I resubmitted my primary already will probably work another year as an associate. Just sold my practice so that I'll be able to do that.

Does anyone have a guess as to when the next pull might be, given the acceptance/tuition deposit deadline has past. Do will have to wait until orientation starts for student accepted to drop off? I am wondering how it was last year Thanks:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a guess as to when the next pull might be, given the acceptance/tuition deposit deadline has past. Do will have to wait until orientation starts for student accepted to drop off? I am wondering how it was last year Thanks:rolleyes:

Last year was a bit odd because they started VERY early (if I recall, orientation was July 19th) so a lot of people that originally accepted Touro ended up dropping out last minute because they got accepted elsewhere. So there was a LOT of movement and they were accepting people even after classes have already started- something they promised never to do again.

Since Obed isn't at Touro anymore, do you know who we should contact if we have a urgent question? I tried to contact Dr. Jerry Cammarata through email, but got no reply. I tried to contact Mr. Issa Sow and Ms. Cherie Hunter, but got into their voicemail boxes, and these boxes were full.

The school's out for a jewish holiday. Try on Friday. I don't know what you should do if it's any more pressing than that.

The school's out for a jewish holiday. Try on Friday. I don't know what you should do if it's any more pressing than that.

Thanks so much for your post. I just got a reply from Dr. Jerry Cammarata. :D

Hey !!! I have a question. I was recently accepted into the Touro 1 year masters program. Is there anyone who can give me some helpful hints about the program. Things you wish you knew when you started, do you live in the city or commute, how many classes, how long are the classes, difficulty?

Any info would be helpful :)

Has any one received any updates as to when the next pull will be? :)

Hey guys, I skimmed this thread and noticed a post stating that the school is now accredited. But, should I be worried that the school was established so recently and if I would have trouble getting a residency?

nah. our match list was tight. Check the various match list threads on the pre-osteo and the osteo boards.

(sorry. im on vacation. My posts may be a little lacking compared to their usual calibur).

Hey guys. I spoke to Dr. Cammarata a few days ago asking when the next movement would be. He said he wasn't sure and it all depends on the students. The class is currently FULL and he said that students would drop only if they receive an acceptance from somewhere else where they are on the waitlist. I am in the top 10 on the wait list and Dr. Cammarata informed me I should be "comfortable" with the idea of my wait list status NOT turning into an acceptance. :( He was heavily advertising the alternative option of their masters program at Touro advising me that it would be better to go that route since you can get into TouroCOM easier after completing the masters there. If any of you are interested in the masters program you should decide what you want to do because those seats are filling up quickly. Just giving you all a heads up.

It's the middle of June so I find it hard to believe there will not be another pull. Also it seems they have only pulled 20 people and they went to number 120 last year. So I think things will move eventually.

Hey guys. I spoke to Dr. Cammarata a few days ago asking when the next movement would be. He said he wasn't sure and it all depends on the students. The class is currently FULL and he said that students would drop only if they receive an acceptance from somewhere else where they are on the waitlist. I am in the top 10 on the wait list and Dr. Cammarata informed me I should be "comfortable" with the idea of my wait list status NOT turning into an acceptance. :( He was heavily advertising the alternative option of their masters program at Touro advising me that it would be better to go that route since you can get into TouroCOM easier after completing the masters there. If any of you are interested in the masters program you should decide what you want to do because those seats are filling up quickly. Just giving you all a heads up.

The first year of their masters program is virtually identical to the first semester of medical school. So if you do decide to go with the masters program, you are going to have to retake a lot of the same classes, but you will obviously be much more prepared- at least that's what I've been hearing from masters students. You also get to know the professors and get a feel for what their exams are like.

Also, last years pull from the waitlist was most likely much heavier than this year should be. As I mentioned earlier, last year, class started July 19th, so the class had to already be full by the time other schools only started sending out acceptance letters. This year, it's not starting till August, so they have a lot more time to select students and interview. Also, this year a lot of students are entering through their BS/DO program- I believe it's the first year that students are being pulled from it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being discouranging, I'm just trying to get information out there. Good luck to you all!

The first year of their masters program is virtually identical to the first semester of medical school. So if you do decide to go with the masters program, you are going to have to retake a lot of the same classes, but you will obviously be much more prepared- at least that's what I've been hearing from masters students. You also get to know the professors and get a feel for what their exams are like.

Also, last years pull from the waitlist was most likely much heavier than this year should be. As I mentioned earlier, last year, class started July 19th, so the class had to already be full by the time other schools only started sending out acceptance letters. This year, it's not starting till August, so they have a lot more time to select students and interview. Also, this year a lot of students are entering through their BS/DO program- I believe it's the first year that students are being pulled from it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being discouranging, I'm just trying to get information out there. Good luck to you all!

This year they are tsrtaing August 1st I believe, I understand thet the BS/DO program may be a factor, but a 12 day differece? I dont think the scheduling was so different this year than last

If the BS/DO students will be in the med school class then that does play a big factor. assuming there are about 10 of them, plus 20ish kids from the masters program, plus some of the students who took a year off or w/e from 2013 and the students who deferred their admissions - there are only about 100 out of 135 seats available for outside applicants. As mentioned before, the waitlist movement has decreased every year. I think there will be movement on the waitlist in july as people drop off of it to go to other schools; i think there will also be one more pull from the waitlist sometime in july but I don't think it will be a big one.

Starting in August (even if it is 2 weeks later) matters because a lot of students in those 2 weeks decided to go to other schools or were pulled off of other waitlists. So they left the class 2-3 weeks into the school year. this year that won't be happening since classes will be starting in August, the same time as most other DO schools

I'm officially going nuts here. and I truly mean it.

does anyone how they will decide on the 30 spots given out for next year? do they use our current ranks?

does anyone how they will decide on the 30 spots given out for next year? do they use our current ranks?

How do you know this? Why would they give out 30 spots for next year and in essence leave only 70 for the new applicants?

How do you know this? Why would they give out 30 spots for next year and in essence leave only 70 for the new applicants?

because a majority will either have gotten accepted somewhere else by now, or will go somewhere else next year (from reapplying)

Yeah...who exactly told you this number? I was under the impression that only a very small handful were offered seats.

I don't ever recall reading or hearing that 30 wait listed applicants would be given admission for the next year.

I don't ever recall reading or hearing that 30 wait listed applicants would be given admission for the next year.

From what I understood, there were a handfull that could be offered admission for next year, and the other 30 (on top of the interviewees 100) that would enter the class on top of that are those that are entering from the one year masters program.